[Models] Surfaceskin help required

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

[Models] Surfaceskin help required

Postby Liberation » Thu May 03, 2018 7:48 am

Hi all.

I'll get to the point, I have a space ship model that has 35 different skins to go onto the model, the model itself has 35 groups (just under the limit) however have hit a bit of brick wall with Gzdoom.

Basically Surface skin seems to be only able to do 32 groups/surfaces, leaving me 3 short of the prize.

Is there any work around to this? I'm not really clued up on UV maps so not sure if I could combine the textures etc,

Screenshot_Doom_20180503_144328.jpg

As you can see from the capital ship, group 32/33 had to be commented out of the decorate file and of course it slaps the most blatant incorrect texture going to fill the model. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Liberation

Re: [Models] Surfaceskin help required

Postby ramon.dexter » Thu May 03, 2018 11:19 pm

Liberation wrote:
As you can see from the capital ship,

Thats not a capital ship. Thats a star destroyer, to be correct. Dont use a name such a "capital ship" when speaking about star destroyer :)
ramon.dexter
rudebwoy

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Shadelight » Thu May 03, 2018 11:23 pm

ramon.dexter wrote:
Liberation wrote:

Thats not a capital ship. Thats a star destroyer, to be correct. Dont use a name such a "capital ship" when speaking about star destroyer :)

This is off-topic, but for your information it is definitely a capital ship.
Shadelight
You must construct additional lumber.

Discord: Shadelight#4920

Postby R4L » Fri May 04, 2018 7:30 am

You could split the last three parts into a separate model, and define it in MODELDEF as the second part to the first model. The actor will be a multi-model actor and you can have all the skins showing.
R4L
Barry Burton - I have THIS

Discord: R4L#4655
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Liberation » Sat May 05, 2018 6:37 am

R4L wrote:You could split the last three parts into a separate model, and define it in MODELDEF as the second part to the first model. The actor will be a multi-model actor and you can have all the skins showing.

Thank you very much, that is working a treat and also is allowing me to leave more detail on the models. I did see multi model actors in the wiki, however it didn't twig!

Shadelight wrote:
ramon.dexter wrote:
Liberation wrote:

This is off-topic, but for your information it is definitely a capital ship.

Technically your both correct :D
Liberation

Postby R4L » Sat May 05, 2018 9:15 am

The wiki lists it as an example in MODELDEF.
R4L

Postby WARCHILD_89 » Thu May 24, 2018 1:59 am

before going into star wars models too heavily, check this out: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=57378
WARCHILD_89
DOOM NEMESIS / 3D MODELS /MODELPACK PROVIDER

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Collegia Titanica » Thu May 24, 2018 5:29 am

Newsflash, there are no hard limits, (((They))) lied to you, your model size (tris) can be much larger than you think.

Next, I thought we went over this, you DON'T USE the shitty skindef ... what you need is to make sure that the mesh's material (model part) has the same name as the texture that is supposed to cover it. It's that simple really.

MATERIAL NAME=TEXTURE NAME, put the md3 and the textures in one folder and reference that in MoDeLdef
Collegia Titanica

Discord: 2834

Postby R4L » Thu May 24, 2018 6:40 am

Collegia Titanica wrote:Newsflash, there are no hard limits, (((They))) lied to you, your model size (tris) can be much larger than you think.

Next, I thought we went over this, you DON'T USE the shitty skindef ... what you need is to make sure that the mesh's material (model part) has the same name as the texture that is supposed to cover it. It's that simple really.

MATERIAL NAME=TEXTURE NAME, put the md3 and the textures in one folder and reference that in MoDeLdef

Was that really necessary?

Don't tell him not to use SurfaceSkin when he's already been using it, and using it the CORRECT way might I add. It's still a totally viable method to texture models. Using filename paths on the materials works too.

Also, there may not be HARD limits, but really, you probably shouldn't use too many high poly models. The engine will seriously bog down. GZDoom (IIRC) does NOT unload models after they've been rendered.
R4L

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri May 25, 2018 4:46 am

R4L wrote: GZDoom (IIRC) does NOT unload models after they've been rendered.

Models are being cached per level. Because that's the normal duration you need them for.
As for getting 'bogged down', it will depend on the system. If you got modern graphics hardware it will have power to burn, but beware to try it on something older and weaker. The models really can murder frame rate on any system that's GPU limited.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby R4L » Fri May 25, 2018 6:01 am

Graf Zahl wrote:
R4L wrote: GZDoom (IIRC) does NOT unload models after they've been rendered.

Models are being cached per level. Because that's the normal duration you need them for.
As for getting 'bogged down', it will depend on the system. If you got modern graphics hardware it will have power to burn, but beware to try it on something older and weaker. The models really can murder frame rate on any system that's GPU limited.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. So if the models are high poly count, it should tax the machine more correct?
R4L

Return to Assets (and other stuff)