Best voxel editor?

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
arachnotron

Best voxel editor?

Post by arachnotron »

I would like to make some voxels based on sprites. If I wanted to create voxels for the DN3D sprite props, what would you use?
Cherno

Re: Best voxel editor?

Post by Cherno »

I use MagicaVoxel. It is free and easy to use. You mainly need to RTG keys for adding, removing, and painting. Take note of the selection, move and rotations modes/tools as well. Before starting work, switch on the grid lines in the display settings.

Make sure that all objects are in the exact middle of the grid (resize the grid if neccessary), at least on the x and y axis (horizontally left-right forward-backward). I find it easiest for things that are supposed to be on the ground (so, basically everything but projectiles) to be on the "grid ground" as well which makes it easier to assign the vertical pivot in SLAB6.

There is a good tutorial for using MagicaVoxel for Doom sprites somewhere here on the forum.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

But keep in mind MagicaVoxel is pretty limited. The size of voxel model for build engines is 256x256x256 voxels, but magicaVoxel allows only 128x128x128, which is pretty limited.
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

I think this is the tutorial you mentioned: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=45680
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

ramon.dexter wrote:But keep in mind MagicaVoxel is pretty limited. The size of voxel model for build engines is 256x256x256 voxels, but magicaVoxel allows only 128x128x128, which is pretty limited.
I just saw on MagicaVoxel's GitHub homepage that the latest version supports sparse volumes up to 2048³ which should be more than enough 8-)
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

Cherno wrote:
ramon.dexter wrote:But keep in mind MagicaVoxel is pretty limited. The size of voxel model for build engines is 256x256x256 voxels, but magicaVoxel allows only 128x128x128, which is pretty limited.
I just saw on MagicaVoxel's GitHub homepage that the latest version supports sparse volumes up to 2048³ which should be more than enough 8-)
Could you paste a link? As I'm looking to the magicavoxel page, I see only version 0.98.2, that is limited to 126x126x126... :(
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Oh nevermind, it's just the renderer that supports 2048³.
DoomN00b

Post by DoomN00b »

Cherno wrote:Oh nevermind, it's just the renderer that supports 2048³.
Seems about right... HOWever... the upcominc 0.99 release looks OUTSTANDING!! : O The improvements seem tremendous... 1300 x 1000 at least! Just look at this preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NG7cFc-ddQ

Until then though... we'll be limited to half-size voxels... Dang. It appears to be soon available though, but I'm not sure when... perhaps we can simply ask Tracy when she thinks it'll be out?

And maybe... just maybe... if we ask nicely enough, we can get her to make an in-between build, which simply increases the build-area to 256x256x256?! : D Just with the note of course, that there will be NO support for that version.

EDIT:
I'm a dummy... she just released it. LET'S DO THIS!! :D

EDIT2:

What the what now...?? Ok... the preview clearly shows a model more than 126 columns high... lots of stuff. But they are all... limited to working on them in... chunks of 126?? What the what?? Am I misunderstanding something? Because here I'm trying to make a model that 256 high, but it caps out at 126! God damn... Not fun. We're gonna' need another tutorial on v0.99 methinks... :|

EDIT3:

Apparently it's still limited to 126x126x126 - so I guess we'll have to keep waiting for the big update for "double resolution". Hope I haven't seemed too negative with my reporting here, the tool is still great, and I'm getting into it - might just be the best voxel tool around, at this time.

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”