a query on sprites

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

a query on sprites

Postby Evatron » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:57 pm

i am a little confused on why there are "shadow" duplicates of each sprite. what are they for? and how do i make them for new sprites?
also, what is the most efficient way to make sprites? do i have to extract and modify each one over and over with a paint program? how would you do it?

Thank you.
Evatron

Operating System: Windows XP

Re: a query on sprites

Postby Jarewill » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:21 pm

"Shadow" duplicates? Do you mean brightmaps by any chance?
Black background with white silhouette of the monster/item?

They cause only specific parts of the sprite to glow in the dark (the white spots), while the rest of the sprite remains normal (the black background)

As for making them, put the graphics into your wad or "brightmaps" folder in a pk3 and include the following GLDEFS lump:
Code: Select allExpand view
brightmap sprite "sprite name"
{
  map "brightmap name"
}

For sprite editing, yes that is the best way.
However, SLADE allows to make palette translations (so does DECORATE with the "Translation" property) if you only need to recolor a sprite.

Lastly, apologies, but I typed all this from a phone, so excuse any errors and lack of links to the wiki.
Jarewill

Postby Evatron » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:38 pm

you did good for a phone write lol. i had a feeling they were something to do with lighting but i wanted to double check so thanks for clarifying that.

Thanks.
Evatron

Operating System: Windows XP

Postby Enjay » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:09 pm

Just for information, although most brightmaps are greyscale, they don't have to be.

If they have some colour, then that colour gets applied to the sprite along with the brightness.

It can be useful - not least when the white brightness spills across to neighbouring pixels a little bit, making them brighter than they should be.

e.g. e.g. if a greyscale brightmap is used to make an enemy have glowing red eyes, the surrounding eye socket might also glow a bit white depending on your graphics settings. If the bright bits for the eyes are red on the brightmap, then the overspill on to surrounding pixels is also coloured slightly red, so it looks a bit better IMO.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Return to Assets (and other stuff)