Ethics/etiquette of using/crediting old DOS game music

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
User160971235

Ethics/etiquette of using/crediting old DOS game music

Post by User160971235 »

I was wondering specifically about the ethics of using old DOS game music in a Doom mod. Is it frowned upon, or is there a way to do it so long as it is done properly?

I'm wanting to use music from DOS games like Dungeon Master II, Stonekeep, Lands of Lore etc. for their medieval MIDI music to be used in a Heretic mod. Should I avoid this altogether because these songs are technically companies' property? Or does it slide by community standards to put in a text file giving credit to the original owners?

If it is acceptable to use them with credit, then how thorough should the credit be? Will it suffice just by naming the games that the songs came from? Should I go more detailed, and spell it out like:
"Stonekeep, DOS (1995) by Interplay Entertainment; composed by Brian Luzietti and Richard Band"
Obviously this example is pretty heavy on the detail, but I wouldn't want to "under-credit" seeing as one reason I'm so concerned about giving proper credit is to not get myself into trouble with anyone, whether it be any existing companies over legalities (which a credit text probably wouldn't protect me from lol) or the Doom community for being a jerk who doesn't give credit well.
I'm likely overthinking this.

TL;DR Is it acceptable to use music from old DOS games in a mod with credit given? If so, how thorough should I credit?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Ethics/etiquette of using/crediting old DOS game music

Post by Matt »

Legally: it's copyrighted, so check:

1. the source application's EULA
2. your local copyright expiry periods
3. your local fair use/fair dealing rules
4. 2-3 for the source application's jurisdiction, if the EULA requires it and your local consumer protection laws don't shield you from it
5. your lawyer, if 4 is just gobbledygook

Ethically: there is never any reason not to credit, unless the creator explicitly told you to protect their anonymity.

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”