Best tools to edit/make sprites

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Best tools to edit/make sprites

Postby Cabo_Fiambre » Wed May 01, 2019 8:18 pm

Hello, i'm pretty new in the forums, i don't know if this is this the best place to post this but i want to know wich is the best tool to edit/make some good quality sprites (palette is a big issue when i try to do this because i don't want to deviate from doom's color style).
Cabo_Fiambre

Re: Best tools to edit/make sprites

Postby Blue Shadow » Thu May 02, 2019 3:06 am

I moved your post to a more appropriate location, since it's not a (resource) request per se.
Blue Shadow

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Postby R4L » Thu May 02, 2019 12:45 pm

Cabo_Fiambre wrote:Hello, i'm pretty new in the forums, i don't know if this is this the best place to post this but i want to know wich is the best tool to edit/make some good quality sprites (palette is a big issue when i try to do this because i don't want to deviate from doom's color style).

Depends, there's a lot of tools suitable for the job. There's photoshop ($) and GIMP (free), you can use ASeprite ($ but highly recommended) or Graphics Gale (free). Paint.NET or Krita... there's a lot of options.

I'd personally go with ASeprite if you don't mind spending $15, or GIMP.
R4L
Ordinary Vanity

Discord: R4L#4655
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Enjay » Thu May 02, 2019 1:14 pm

Personally I use Paint Shop Pro 7.04 which was the last version made by Jasc Inc. before Corel took it on and turned it into a hideous bloatware trying-to-be-photoshop-and-failing program. I have used it for so long and I am so familiar with it that I dread the day it will no longer run under whatever version of Windows comes along. I literally use it every day for all sorts of graphics work. It's very light, starts up quickly but is also complex enough for some of the fancier things. It handles palette's superbly. However, I'm not even sure if there is a legal way to get the full version these days.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Cabo_Fiambre » Sun May 12, 2019 7:30 am

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated!
Cabo_Fiambre

Postby Cabo_Fiambre » Sun May 19, 2019 5:18 pm

How do i make proper recolors (basic ones)? Something like this:
Attachments
UDM2A1.png
UDM2A1.png (1.97 KiB) Viewed 321 times