STARTUP lump won't work if loaded from IWAD selection box...

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Neonspider

STARTUP lump won't work if loaded from IWAD selection box...

Post by Neonspider »

Hey there. I'm not sure if this is a bug or intentional behaviour but I've found that my custom STARTUP sequence (music, image), works every time when I start the game...unless I load it from (G)ZDoom's IWAD selection box. -file, -iwad, and drag'n'drop work every time, whether the mod be specified as an IWAD or PWAD (well it's a pk3, but still)

Here's the gameinfo code I have for the STARTUP sequence if that'd help anyone. I've stripped most old assets and code since restarting the TC this year, so it's just a couple of levels and a titlemap sequence, with half of the scripts disabled.

Code: Select all

IWAD = "xeno.ipk3" //tried changing this to doom2.wad but no difference.
STARTUPTYPE = Hexen //	Doesn't work if STARTUP is in a folder
STARTUPSONG = X_LOADIN
STARTUPCOLORS = "33 FF 6E", "3E 5C 67"
STARTUPTITLE = "Xenotomb"
Here's a dropbox link to the .ipk3 in its current state.

Here's what the game starting up should show when the sequence works.
Spoiler:
It's not too important that this works in the endgame for this project, but if it is a bug, it might affect other people. Cheers!
_mental_

Re: STARTUP lump won't work if loaded from IWAD selection bo

Post by _mental_ »

GAMEINFO lump doesn't affect startup type when mod is loaded as IWAD. You need to add the following line to IWADINFO

StartupType = "Hexen"
Neonspider

Post by Neonspider »

Aha! That got the startup lump to display! Thank you so much!

The music lump I added doesn't work though. I tried adding StartupSong but there's still no music. This was bugging me so much though, cheers for helping me to get the graphic to display.

EDIT: I tried changing the name back to the default hexen "orb" and removing all music definitions but it still doesn't work. I'll keep looking to see if I can solve this.

EDIT EDIT:

Okay I think I've found a bug. Music does work, but only in .MUS format. I tested this using Hexen's actual ORB.MUS file, then my own MIDI, then my own MIDI converted to MUS. Both MIDI and XM format modules don't play if I run directly through the dialog box. They both work dragged onto it though, so maybe it has something to do with when the module player loads or something.

MIDI files WILL play in any for a split second, just as GZDoom transitions to fullscreen, before whatever TITLEMAP/menu music may be set to play. It also only seems to work if the file is named ORB, regardless of definitions.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Startup song option is not implemented for IWADINFO. Don't know why, it seems to be pretty straightforward to add.
Neonspider

Post by Neonspider »

Ah well. The music would probably only fill for 5 seconds at the most. Wouldn't mind if it does become possible in the future, though.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Added in 2ae8b0c. When this change will appear in devbuilds you can add the following line in IWADINFO to set music for startup screen

StartupSong = "X_LOADIN" 
Neonspider

Post by Neonspider »

Glad to see I wasn't going crazy and it wasn't actually implemented. Thank you for adding it.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Wouldn't it be simpler to have some sort of StartupType SeeGAMEINFO keyword in IWADINFO instead of duplicating stuff?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Probably it will. The thing is that case is uncommon and mostly useless. Do not forget that file extensions are different for these types.
Mod's author should decide which WAD type he/she wants to provide. GAMEINFO is not needed for IWAD and there is no point to include IWADINFO in PWAD.

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”