Indesign packageing function in Doombuilder

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
WARCHILD_89
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Indesign packageing function in Doombuilder

Post by WARCHILD_89 »

Hey Guys!

You may have encountered this:
You are in Doombuilder and want to test your map. You have many resources. You strat the map you just created and Doom freezes at startup.

The reason: You ran out of memory.

The resources are being loaded twice into your Ram. First in Doombuilder, second when testing map out of doombuilder.

Solution: you save the map and close doombuilder. You start zdoom and there you go. The resources aren´t loaded twice, your RAM is fine.

OOPS!

but your Resources are spread all over the Hard disk, Models here, sprites there, sounds elsewhere etc.

So a Solution could be, that, as seen in Adobe InDesign, You have a function to export all resurces used in your map into one specified folder. This way, you don´t have to collect and copy all resources manually.

File->export/package->map and resources->specified folder.

Would be very cool. So all needed resources are collected in on single folder and you can go on managing from there on.
ramon.dexter

Re: Indesign packageing function in Doombuilder

Post by ramon.dexter »

I can advise you contrary: Dont be messy and put all resources into one folder, or better, into one archive. BAM! Its done! ;)
WARCHILD_89

Post by WARCHILD_89 »

ramon.dexter wrote:I can advise you contrary: Dont be messy and put all resources into one folder, or better, into one archive. BAM! Its done! ;)

I guess my statement was too inaccurate. The program shall load all desired resources, but safe only those you actually used.

another example:

You loaded a directory with textures, several wad files and a model PK3 as resources into doombuilder.

Exporting the file would do the following:

create a naked PK3, insert the directory as "textures" directory into the Pk3 automatically, save the wad files used into the Pk3 and put the content of the models.pk3 into the newly created one, keeping the folder structure intact.

So the program does mergeing all resources together automatically, what you otherwise would have to do manually.

it would save a lot of time
Eliot_L

Post by Eliot_L »

I would recommend looking at Nash's Zdoom Project Template for an example of how to do this.

This method (bare PK3 directory structure) works perfectly fine with GZDoom and SLADE 3. However I was having issues getting GZDB-Bugfix to use the unpacked directory as a resource - decorate actors, textures, etc. were not showing up. If anyone has tips on this I would be interested, thanks.
WARCHILD_89

Post by WARCHILD_89 »

Eliot_L wrote:I would recommend looking at Nash's Zdoom Project Template for an example of how to do this.

This method (bare PK3 directory structure) works perfectly fine with GZDoom and SLADE 3. However I was having issues getting GZDB-Bugfix to use the unpacked directory as a resource - decorate actors, textures, etc. were not showing up. If anyone has tips on this I would be interested, thanks.

thanks for the advice!

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”