Multiples anchors for one polyobject?

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
fs183
Github ID: franksouza183
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Multiples anchors for one polyobject?

Post by fs183 »

Is it possible to spawn the same polyobject multiple times? I tried to use several things anchors with the same poly id but only the last one is rendered. Am I doing something wrong?
Kappes Buur

Re: Multiples anchors for one polyobject?

Post by Kappes Buur »

Since the poly anchor and start spots are tied to a specific location, I would imagine that each polyobject needs to be specified individually.

You can copy/paste a polyobject multiple times but then each polyobject needs a unique id.
fs183

Post by fs183 »

Kappes Buur wrote:Since the poly anchor and start spots are tied to a specific location, I would imagine that each polyobject needs to be specified individually.

You can copy/paste a polyobject multiple times but then each polyobject needs a unique id.
This wouldn't be feasible for my purpose, I thought I'd create polyobjects "models" to be reused, saving time in future tweaks/redesign, it's hell to change multiple polyobjects in a complex map and depending on where they are situated. Imagine changing the appearance of 300 individual pillars, no.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

One anchor, one starting point. Get used to it, instead of trying to find a workaround. Yes, you have to have multiple polyobjects, but that really not a problem at all.

After all, when you reate said 300 pillars, you have to manually create each one of them. So I really dont see your point.
fs183

Post by fs183 »

ramon.dexter wrote:After all, when you reate said 300 pillars, you have to manually create each one of them.
Yes, until you wake up one day and see that you could have done the 300 pillars better. The point of my previous comment is that functionality could exists, some interested developer could treat this as a demand since this could make map editing easer/faster and implement this within their time limit, in fact there's no problem anywhere. And the point of the initial post is the question which has already been answered, and that's ok.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

Hey, wait and think again about what you want to make.

So, you make one polyobject, let's say polyobject 1. So, one anchor 1, one starting point 1. Of you would like to make more of this, problems would emerge. You place starting point 1 in one place, than again in second place. You come to the door in first place, open it...and see that it also opens the door on place two. See the problem? Physically, one door, one polyobject. Just think about how your request is just plainly ridiculous.

And your request how "one interested developer should..."...just funny. When I started coding on professional level, I'll just never make such a request. You really cannot even imagine the amount of work required for such an "easy" task.

Don't take this as an attack or offence. But when I started to understand to how polyobjects work, I just put away request like this. I had quite an idea like you like a two years ago.

And, if you want to speed up the process of creation of polyobjects, copy the polyobjects already created and just replace the poly numbers and anchors and starting objects. Nothing faster exists.
fs183

Post by fs183 »

ramon.dexter wrote:You come to the door in first place, open it...and see that it also opens the door on place two. See the problem
It wouldn't be a problem if that's the intention. It wouldn't be a bad idea when animations aren't used, but it's still relative. It's okay to think that polyobjects can be improved, after all this is just code, besides I didn't open a post to request functionality, just to clear a doubt that has already been answered, you took the post to a pointless problematization level . I don't take it as an offense. There is no motivation for developers to implement this, and that's ok, the fact is: editing just one object is faster than editing 300 individually.

I would suggest not to extend this post further since it has already been answered, if anyone wants to request this functionality and further discussion can be done in a specific topic.

Return to “Mapping”