Solved - Incorrect Scaling of Textures

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Moebius

Solved - Incorrect Scaling of Textures

Post by Moebius »

1. This is one example of some textures that aren't being scaled as desired.
2. Within UDB and testing from UDB using GZDoom 470 I see the desired texture scaled (2x2) for the light.
3. When I pack everything up in a PK3 file and run it with the same GZDoom 470, I see an unscaled texture.
4. I've tried using line 160 (3D Set Floor) & 181 (Plane Align) for the slope and 3D Floor Mode. Both give me the same results.
5. I have the same problem in a couple of other places. All involve sloped surfaces.

Any ideas why and how to fix?

Last edited by Moebius on Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moebius

Re: Incorrect Scaling of Textures

Post by Moebius »

Figured it out. Thanks for no help.
Enjay

Re: Incorrect Scaling of Textures

Post by Enjay »

Moebius wrote:Figured it out. Thanks for no help.
It's entirely possible that no one who saw your thread knew what the problem was / how to fix it.

However, seeing as how you have figured it out, perhaps you could be the helpful one and post what the solution was so that other people might benefit from what you found out.
Moebius

Re: Solved - Incorrect Scaling of Textures

Post by Moebius »

Nor ask for more information.

I Just knew someone would ask how I fixed it, though. And my attitude is not great, as I've asked multiple times for help/direction, my posts get read, but not a single response. So I spend hours and hours until I finally come up with something that works. I'm not asking anyone to do the work. Just point me in a direction. Hopefully, I'll figure it out.

Seeing how you're one of a few who have actually provided some insight on Doom mapping, I'll provide more information. It's not an exact answer, as I don't know specifically what "infected" my PK3 file. I just spent a lot of time troubleshooting.

Short answer - Ghosts

Longer Answer - Remember when you were looking for information on animating doors? Someone suggested MMDCXIV.pk3. It had doors that operated like Doom 3 doors. I too was looking into how to make more interesting doors and looked at what Zanieon had done in their MAP and tried some.

Although I didn't end up using anything in my MAP, I must have left some element of MMDCXIV in the folder I used to pack the PK3 file. How do I know that? A few times when I ran my "original" (bad) PK3 file on GZDOOM 4.7 the title map of MMDCXIV popped up with missing textures instead of the opening for Doom 2. I was like, "This is weird". Perhaps this is part of the problem.

Until now I kept "updating" the "problem" PK3 file with any MAP changes, so the "issue" remained in the PK3 file. When I packed up a brand new PK3 file, it went away as whatever was in the "bad" PK3 file was no longer in my MAP folder. My MAP was fine, it was something I had left in the MAP folder on the original PK3 pack. If the Title Map showed up every time I might have found the problem earlier.

So if you're experimenting with new stuff in your MAPs, make sure your process allows for easy removal (of everything) if you end up not using it. Remnants can do weird things.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Ah, OK, so it was some left over cruft from testing. I've done that myself plenty of times.

To be fair, it would have been hard for someone to diagnose that without actually having your mod or knowing that you'd imported stuff from another one.

I get that it can be frustrating trying to figure something out, asking for help and not getting any. But remember that we're all just doing this for fun, each and every one of us has gaps in our knowledge, no one is on here 24/7 and we all have real life to be getting on with too.

As for me, I saw your original question but nothing sprung to mind as to what might be going on or any pertinent questions to ask. So I just left it alone because I thought someone else might have an idea and I'm sure that you didn't want to come back to your thread, see it had a reply only to find that the replay was "sorry, no idea". I guess no one else who saw it knew what to suggest either and other people probably simply didn't see it. It happens. As a general rule, this is a very, very helpful forum and people will do their best to help out if they can. However, I'm sure you know that getting salty when you don't get help isn't the best way to get people to do you a favour in future.
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Yup, when someone asks for help but only gives minimal info, that can be annoying at times.
Usually it fills the forum with a lot of back and fro commentary.

But what the heck, when help is needed help should be given if possible.

Return to “Mapping”