Heretic map format?

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Ultimate Freedoomer

Heretic map format?

Post by Ultimate Freedoomer »

Does Vanilla Heretic use the same map format as Doom, or is it its own format? I ask because I’m practicing with Doom Builder, & I would like to know what to set the map format to when making levels for Vanilla Heretic.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Heretic map format?

Post by Rachael »

In terms of Doom Builder it uses its "own" format - which really is Doom format but it has its own distinct line specials and thing id's, few of which it shares with Doom. A map built in the Doom format for Heretic using Doom id's will be very broken. So it does need its own config.

If you're using Ultimate Doom Builder you can activate extra game configs in the preferences dialog as needed.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Technically the map format is the same as Doom; but yes you need to go enable the Heretic configuration in Doom Builder because of course it's a different game with different effects (different things, different line actions, different sector types, different textures and flats, etc.).
Ultimate Freedoomer

Post by Ultimate Freedoomer »

I’m guessing it’s the 1 labeled "Heretic: Heretic (Doom Format)" in the drop-down menu? I did check off all the configurations in case I miss anything. Also, I’m using GZDoom Builder.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Yes that will work perfectly fine.

Return to “Mapping”