Questions about polygonal slope precision and setup in UDB

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Questions about polygonal slope precision and setup in UDB

Postby Big Frauds » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:59 pm

I'm trying to learn Ultimate Doom Builder's slope tools (in UDMF) and have made some interesting shapes already. However a simple dome still eludes me - I have managed to make shapes more complicated than domes. I'm not sure how the best way to go about that is - i.e., vertex or sidedef selection, and then which faces to select after. Right now I'm kind of blindly selecting sidedefs and sectors and hoping for the best when I engage the visual editor.

More importantly I wonder about the potential of "merging" vertices and sides. Is there some way to force sloped polygons to share sides, so that there aren't "extra" vertical polygons between slopes? This leads to weird lighting behavior and (apparently) extra polygons, like in the domes from the classic WAD "The Darkest Hour."

Finally, does coordinate precision limit my choice of DOOM port to run the map in?
Big Frauds

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Return to Mapping