Possible huge screw-up

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Possible huge screw-up

Postby Kafelnikov » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:01 pm

Basically I'm working on a single map wad (targeted for the gzdoom port) which has gotten quite huge (about 9800-ish sectors, however I'm almost done with the map so I don't envision hitting the 10k mark) and the format I chose when I started mapping was the Hexen format (I know I know that the UDMF is the most advanced one but I didn't know at the time and I was too deep into building the map to switch at that point, the editor I'm using is GZDoom Builder 2.3.0.2787 btw).
Now I have noticed that my sidedef count (around 71000) is highlighted in red and by a quick search on google I found out that the limit in Hexen format for sidedef count is 65,535, so basicly I am already 7k sidedef over that. Is this hard-limit actually still a problem? Can I even switch to UMDF at this point without screwing up the map in all kind of ways since they are 2 different formats? Do I have any option other than drasticly cutting out sections of the map?
Kafelnikov

Re: Possible huge screw-up

Postby Redneckerz » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:05 pm

Kafelnikov wrote:Basically I'm working on a single map wad (targeted for the gzdoom port) which has gotten quite huge (about 9800-ish sectors, however I'm almost done with the map so I don't envision hitting the 10k mark) and the format I chose when I started mapping was the Hexen format (I know I know that the UDMF is the most advanced one but I didn't know at the time and I was too deep into building the map to switch at that point, the editor I'm using is GZDoom Builder 2.3.0.2787 btw).
Now I have noticed that my sidedef count (around 71000) is highlighted in red and by a quick search on google I found out that the limit in Hexen format for sidedef count is 65,535, so basicly I am already 7k sidedef over that. Is this hard-limit actually still a problem? Can I even switch to UMDF at this point without screwing up the map in all kind of ways since they are 2 different formats? Do I have any option other than drasticly cutting out sections of the map?

Your screwup is not using Ultimate Doom Builder. :lol: or Doom Builder X.
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby Kappes Buur » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:06 pm

Not knowing what you did in your map, you may be okay though.

As suggested already, download and install Ultimate Doom Builder.
Open your map and press F2, then select the format UDMF and accept that.

After that, test your map, in all likelihood the map will not be exhibiting any problems.
Kappes Buur

Postby boris » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:25 am

Yes, the hard limit still exists for vanilla format and Hexen format maps. However, if you go over the maximum number of sidedef they will be "compressed", so that you can potentially exceed the limit by a lot. For example Sunder MAP18 has 118000 sidedefs, and actually is at the linedef limit (which can not be exceeded). See the Doom Wiki for more info: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Sidedef#Sidedef_compression

As Kappes Buur said you can just switch from Hexen format to UDMF in the map options dialog.
boris
I post less than Manc and Hobo

Return to Mapping