How is this neat trick done??

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

How is this neat trick done??

Postby Falcon » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:31 pm

Wad is ALT.wad E1M1 (aeroplane level) and the part i cannot work out is how player 1's movement causes the other player 1's movement to trigger a linedef. Here's what happens:
1. Level starts and you see this.

2. Then when you move a bit in ANY direction this is what happens and that player disappears. If you don't move nothing happens.

3. This is the other player 1 and if i take it away then nothing happens when i move and i get that but how does my movement affect this? as it must move or something as it triggers that line.

4. This pic shows the player starts but there's nothing i trigger to make it happen.

5. and here are the sectors and lines that make up that player you see in pic 1. Also just to clarify the surrounding area is also floor 0 and ceiling 96.

I was expecting to see DECORATE and SCRIPTS in the wad but nothing! just pure trickery :) and which i just can't work out how that line is triggered to start it all plus why that -128 floor height. Anyone understand this or how it works?
Falcon

Re: How is this neat trick done??

Postby Kappes Buur » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:21 am

ALT.wad is for DOOM2, ergo MAP01 not E1M1.
Were you trying to mislead us? :D

Moving the player in any direction (your picture 4) triggers a crusher which crushes barrels pushing a voodoodoll across a linedef trigger (your picture 3), after all barrels have exploded, to raise a control sector which makes the player texture disappear. Creating the red flash as the voodoodoll is gibbed.

If you were to use GZDBBF or UDB you could see the event lines showing the sequence of triggers.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Sector 22 is where the player texture disappears.
Kappes Buur

Postby Falcon » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:19 am

Haha naa not mislead just got my wads mixed up :)

So i guess XWE (my editor) just isn't picking up the lines. I would of thought it at least would show a type number as i've seen strange numbers before (albeit with no description) might have to make the jump to doom builder.. but anyway thanks for the explanation!
Falcon

Postby Caligari87 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:09 am

XWE is very old, very outdated, and very unstable. You should be using Ultimate DoomBuilder or Slade 3.

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Postby Kappes Buur » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:04 pm

Falcon wrote:So i guess XWE (my editor) just isn't picking up the lines.

As Cal mentioned, yes, Ultimate Doom Builder is uptodate (as of Jan 2021) with GZDoom features, however, for original Doom maps there is also DoombuilderX which is an updated Doombuilder2.

UDB is very nicely organized, basic editing features on the left, editing enhancements on the top and Side Panels on the right.

Spoiler:

Probably too many features for most mappers, but the basic editing features are unsurpassed by any other editor.
Kappes Buur

Postby Falcon » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:13 pm

Yes XWE is.. but the thing i liked about it is the left side - very easy to delete/load/modify sounds/sprites etc. but it does lack a biggie for maps- no undo lol. Anyway thankyou both for editor suggestions and DoomBuilderX sounds and looks the go but i might try the other two as well and see which one suits me best :)
Falcon

Postby Falcon » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:48 pm

Tried installing DBX and got this:

select NO and program closes sigh

check what version i have and it's 12! what gives?

Falcon

Postby Redneckerz » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:58 pm

Falcon wrote:Tried installing DBX and got this:

select NO and program closes sigh

check what version i have and it's 12! what gives?

You should hit YES on that instead, exactly because of what the error is saying. DX9 is a seperate DLL package that isn't included in DX10 through DX12.
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby Falcon » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:47 pm

Wait a minute...

so does this program need a specific version? and i have to have both DX9 and DX12 on my system? won't that cause conflict?

not sure if i want to do this as i don't wanna stuff up my system.
Falcon

Postby wildweasel » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:00 pm

No, there will not be a conflict - the DLLs are only used by programs that specifically call for them, and they do coexist correctly.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Rebecca Ducklebeg » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:21 pm

The DirectX error came because DBX (and old GZDoombuilders and Doombuilder2 too) require SlimDX (v2.0).
The slimdx.msi installer is in the DoombuilderX's zip file and in it's Setup folder.
Rebecca Ducklebeg

Postby Falcon » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:42 pm

I always thought DX overwrites itself and you can't undo it or go back to a previous version (WinXP days) but if you guys don't see a problem then i'll have to try it thanks.

Also XWE DOES show those trigger lines in that sector around the player just i did not see the sector as the player was covering it (sector was 32X32 which is same size of player white box). Should of moved player away when checking for the triggers but who would have thought a sector would be hiding under a player haha!
Falcon

Postby Kappes Buur » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:57 pm

The geneology of the Doombuilder editor family is such

From the revision levels one can see how often a bug was fixed and how often a feature was altered or added.
In all fairness, I do not know if or how DBX is better than DB2, I have it installed but I do not use it except for testing.

I overlaid all the DB family editor interfaces for comparison (large image)
Spoiler:

I do not want to be seen as pushing you to an editor which is not suitable for you, however, I should mention that UDB no longer uses DirectX, instead it uses OpenGL 3.3 and above. Furthermore UDB and has done away with SlimDX.
Kappes Buur

Postby Redneckerz » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:44 am

Falcon wrote:Wait a minute...

so does this program need a specific version?

Yes. I am not sure how else you could interpret my earlier yes as anything but yes, so yes. :lol:

Falcon wrote:and i have to have both DX9 and DX12 on my system?

Yes.

Falcon wrote:won't that cause conflict?

I wouldn't be answering with yes if that were the case. :lol: No, this won't cause conflict.

You are right though that previous DirectX versions iterated on eachother, but this has not been the case for some years anymore now. DX9 is its own seperate entity now.

Falcon wrote:not sure if i want to do this as i don't wanna stuff up my system.

Its not a driver that is gigabytes in size, its a Dynamic Link Library, or DLL. There is really no cause for concern here.
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby Falcon » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:56 pm

Rebecca Ducklebeg wrote:The DirectX error came because DBX (and old GZDoombuilders and Doombuilder2 too) require SlimDX (v2.0).
The slimdx.msi installer is in the DoombuilderX's zip file and in it's Setup folder.

oh missed this! but thanks sweetie :)
Falcon

Next

Return to Mapping