How do i get gzdoom to run a test wad from SLADE?

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

How do i get gzdoom to run a test wad from SLADE?

Postby Ian Bardville » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:13 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, I've been searching online for an answer and somehow nobody has posted a solution to this problem.

I have GZDoom, which I had been using to play HEXEN.
I decided to try Slade (http://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?page=downloads) and made a very basic map following the tutorial they have there, except using hexen instead of doom2 since I already had the hexen wad.

Problem is when I hit run to run a test of the map to GZDoom, it just starts up hexen instead.

No matter what I did, it would just ignore me and act as though I ran GZDoom like normal, running the hexen wad that is in the same directory.
Renaming hexen.wad to something else made it think the wad was missing, which makes me think gzdoom startup is just ignoring anything that isn't searching for the basic .wads in it's specified paths. Worse, renaming the custom wad I had to HEXEN.WAD and putting it where the real one was doesn't work either.

This seems like a pretty basic thing to be not working, and if something special needs to be done i'm very suprised nobody online seems to have had this problem other than me.
What do i do?
Ian Bardville

Re: How do i get gzdoom to run a test wad from SLADE?

Postby Kappes Buur » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:48 am

Load a Hexen pwad into Slade3, for example Chuxen.wad, and make sure to set the Base Resource and Palette to HEXEN and highlight a map lump

Spoiler:

From there you can, by clicking Run,

1. open a map by selecting Archive > Map Editor and selecting MAPxx or doubleclicking on the MAPxx lump

Spoiler:

click on Open Map

Spoiler:

and run the map

or

2. run the map by bypassing the map editor

Spoiler:

selecting the version of GZDoom you want to use and click on Run

Spoiler:
Kappes Buur

Postby Charlotte Savingforth » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:20 pm

I did what you said and it worked, then i started experimenting.

So i think i figured out what the problem I'm having is.
It only loads maps named map01
If i make any other map and try to test it, it just loads the first level of hexen. If I hit run while on the map editor of a map I named map01, then it loads correctly.

Is this normal?
Charlotte Savingforth

Postby Kappes Buur » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:54 am

Have a look at http://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?pag ... Run-Dialog

It appears that the wild card parameters no longer work in the latest Slade3 (slade_3.2.0_b2), so that now one has to specify the map number for the lump editor, for example, again with Chuxen.wad

Spoiler:

I'm not 100% sure about all the parameters but give that a try, it worked for me.
Kappes Buur

Postby John Bollydit » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:28 pm

THANKS!
That solved it
John Bollydit

Return to Mapping