Making racking, bays, or shelves

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Visceral_Nightmare

Making racking, bays, or shelves

Post by Visceral_Nightmare »

Is there a good way to make like warehouse shelves or racking? I'm figuring a lot of 3d floors, but I was just making sure I wasn't missing something easier that you can shoot through.
MFG38
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Making racking, bays, or shelves

Post by MFG38 »

Next to 3D floors, pretty much the only other option is 3D models, but 3D model collision in GZDoom is limited to either completely solid or completely non-solid to my knowledge. If you want to avoid things looking and feeling off, sticking to 3D floors is your best bet.
Visceral_Nightmare

That's what I thought, but being more awake this morning, could you possibly use textures to do the same effect? I don't plan on having anything up on them really, just as something to have to traverse and deal with a possible ambush. Really I'm just bouncing ideas off of people.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'd go for 3D floors.

You're unlikely to need many control sectors. e.g. even if you have a room* with 20 shelving units in it with 3 shelves per unit, as long as the shelves are at the same 3 heights in each unit, all 60 shelves can be done with 3 control sectors and 1 tag.

*in fact, the shelves can be dotted all over the map. They don't need to all be in the same room. As long as the shelf heights are the same, the same control sectors can usually be used wherever the 3D floors need to appear.
Visceral_Nightmare

Thanks Enjay and MFG38, Seems super eas and straight forward! Thank you!

Return to “Mapping”