Making a sector's floor glow black?

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Tormentor667

Making a sector's floor glow black?

Post by Tormentor667 »

Hey fellow Doomers,

I noticed that GZDBuilder (UDMF) has this "Floor Glow" property that you can assign a height and glow color. Unfortunately, if you want to make a floor glow black this approach doesn't work as it is only additive, not subtractive. If I have a sector that I want to glow "black" from the floor to a height of 128, how can I do that?

Best regards,
Torm
Gez

Re: Making a sector's floor glow black?

Post by Gez »

Make the room black and have the ceiling glow white instead?
Good old ExtraFloor_LightOnly?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

The second solution will kill the framerate if I add a fading effect to this huge sector with about 16 or more control sectors. The first solution might work though, but are only textures affected by this but also actors?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Another thing you can try is the Doom 64 material colors. You can't really control the height, though.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I tried that already but unfortunately that didn't help - as you said, it's not controllable. I will go for the transfer lights. I just have a problem with these: For some reasons there is a very obvious cut of "light levels" if you jump from a value above 128 to a value below 128. Am I using the wrong light mode or is something wrong with the calculations and rendering in GZDoom?
The screenshot shows a linear light gradient from 144 to 96 (left to right) and even though it IS linear, there is a hard jump in the middle from 129 to 126
The screenshot shows a linear light gradient from 144 to 96 (left to right) and even though it IS linear, there is a hard jump in the middle from 129 to 126
I noticed that the problem disappears if I set the "Fog mode" to none but this map has no fog at all.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

You can use the sector light colors to make a smooth transition, using gray instead of white and darkening the gray for darker sectors. If you ever need absolute control over light levels, that is by far better than any of the normal Doom lighting calculations.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

For this the Doom64 gradient effect may be best, unlike glows it can darken the material.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

That, too.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Graf Zahl wrote:For this the Doom64 gradient effect may be best, unlike glows it can darken the material.
The problem is that I can’t set the exact height of the glowing parts.

Return to “Mapping”