Line portals questions

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Apeirogon

Line portals questions

Post by Apeirogon »

If I set portal on a lines using Line_SetPortal, portal would be applied to both lines sides? More specific, if I look at the line from its backside it would show me something using frontside of the other line as "view point" and vice versa?
And if I change portal destination using Line_SetPortalTarget it would act same front -> back vice versa?
And what with destination. If I enter portal from the line backside sector it would teleport me into other line frontside sector?
Gez

Re: Line portals questions

Post by Gez »

Apeirogon wrote:If I set portal on a lines using Line_SetPortal, portal would be applied to both lines sides?
No.

That's generally the first thing I have to fix when I test a portal I made: I see the little "collision closet" that should be hidden by the portal, go in, and then looking back out see my portal "working" to send me to the collision closet on the other side... :P
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

How did you managed to get in there without cheats?

So, portals work by teleporting actors from frontside to frontside!?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Apeirogon wrote:How did you managed to get in there without cheats?
Well - he can enter the closet from the back side, obviously, since portals only work in one direction.
Apeirogon wrote:So, portals work by teleporting actors from frontside to frontside!?
That is correct.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

I would like to request the feature regarding line portals. Even though it's impossible to limit portal's collision height, but if I recall correctly Graf said it's possible to limit it visually. I have found a little workaround by making what I call transfer sector that a desired line portal references to, so the transfer chamber has line portals that lead to another side but also it has desired sector heights so line portal doesn't go infinitely far up and down, but it certainly culls every actor behind it. This only works with visual type portals. Can we have interactive portals with their visual appearence cropped to desired values (like a 3d floor floor and ceiling values)? Please :mrgreen:

I have already opened this topic in feature suggestions: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64911&p=1106304#p1106304
Attachments
Portal.png
Portal.png (10.88 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

First of all, that's a feature request, and doesn't go in these topics or else it'll never be read. You need to make a thread.

Second of all, I don't think that's possible. That's like the edge portals feature from Eternity except on steroids, and Graf already turned such a request down.
Gez

Post by Gez »

You can make the room the line portal is in shorter, so the portal has the height you want, and then you use a ceiling portal to make the room taller. If needed, you can also do that with a floor portal.

Return to “Mapping”