Doors giving me a heap of trouble...

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Doors giving me a heap of trouble...

Post by Guest »

I'm having trouble getting doors to open or close while still in the middle of their opening/closing animation. The door as is opens and closes normally after the delay, but I just can't see what it is that I'm doing wrong to make it open/close at will. I've tried different combinations of options, all to no avail. And, if its at all important, my 'Door' section of the line action only includes Door Open, Door Close, Door Raise, Door Locked Raise, Door Animated, Door Generic and Door Close Wait Open. Any help, please?

https://ibb.co/n8spfwF
https://ibb.co/D9XBnB2
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: Doors giving me a heap of trouble...

Post by Kappes Buur »

Do you have another sector to the left of the door? I see a monster there.

If yes, then what you see in game depends on the order of how you placed the sectors. But I digress.
For the door to look and operate properly, make sure that the door has a void to the right and left.

Since the linedef specials are right at the door, you can set the sector tag to 0, and consequently the tag in the linedef special.
Spoiler:
Addendum:
updated the map with both settings
Attachments
generic_door.wad
(10.34 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Last edited by Kappes Buur on Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Aye, it's the line/sector tag that is the problem. If a door line is tagged to a sector, then the "open/close at will" thing stops happening and you have to wait for the door to move fully. Not sure why it's like that, but I'm pretty sure that's always been the case.

Leave off the tags and it should work.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Enjay wrote:Aye, it's the line/sector tag that is the problem. If a door line is tagged to a sector, then the "open/close at will" thing stops happening and you have to wait for the door to move fully. Not sure why it's like that, but I'm pretty sure that's always been the case.

This behavior is only supposed to work for directly operating the door, not for a door switch.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I figured that using tags was intended for remote operation (switches) where the reversible direction feature would not make sense, whereas using no tag meant the line had to be on the door itself where the behaviour does make sense and is useful.

Post by Guest »

Sorry for the late reply, and thanks for the help, everyone! I just needed to set the 'sector tag' under the generic door menu to 0, and voila. It'd be nice if DoomBuilder 2 had a few more tool-tips for newbies like me :lol:
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Lydia Mezzlekone wrote:...
It'd be nice if DoomBuilder 2 had a few more tool-tips for newbies like me :lol:
Not exactly a tool-tip, but have you read the Doom Builder: An Illustrated Guide?
While it was written for the original Doombuilder editor, it is nonetheless a valuable resource for anyone starting out with mapping.
TravyB
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by TravyB »

Kappes Buur wrote:
Not exactly a tool-tip, but have you read the Doom Builder: An Illustrated Guide?
While it was written for the original Doombuilder editor, it is nonetheless a valuable resource for anyone starting out with mapping.
I have not, but I'll have to give that a look before I start my next map. Thanks.

Return to “Mapping”