Patching an Iwad

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Drake Raider

Patching an Iwad

Post by Drake Raider »

Okay, I have no idea how to go about this, or if this is in the right forum.
What I do have is a project, with material. What I do not believe I have is something I can just post. And here is the reason.

Remember this message?

Code: Select all

ONE THIRD OF THE PUZZLE HAS BEEN SOLVED... ON THE SEVEN PORTALS...
It's repetitive, annoying, lacks immersion, and drags the pacing of an otherwise great concept to a crawl.
So I completely rewrote the hub.
There's an actual puzzle now, that requires (relatively simple) deductive reasoning to solve. Every switch in the puzzle, barring the two Secret Level switches, directly has a tangible, physical result. Hints and changes to layout will guide you through the hub. But, despite my best efforts, I had to make some changes to the levels themselves. I tried to do it all in ACS, but it was impossible. So what I have now is some just barely modified original levels with a noticeably different experience, and I believe it's possible to either do something with individual lumps, or to use like a Binary Patch to do something to apply to original levels. I was going to put this in Projects, but as I have nothing to display until this is resolved, I was hoping someone could guide me on what is acceptable and what workarounds exist that I might have missed?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Patching an Iwad

Post by wildweasel »

I wouldn't worry about needing to patch it, as long as your altered maps require the original HEXEN.WAD in order to function.
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Thanks, Wild. I'll just upload them then. Would it be easier to create a new thread or move this one over for me to upload screenshots to Projects?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Drake Raider wrote:Thanks, Wild. I'll just upload them then. Would it be easier to create a new thread or move this one over for me to upload screenshots to Projects?
Might as well start another thread.

Return to “Mapping”