Where should I place the Dummy Sectors for my projects?

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
ZealknightMR

Where should I place the Dummy Sectors for my projects?

Post by ZealknightMR »

I have a few areas that uses 3D floors and planning to add more down the line with my maps. I have quite a few dummy sectors already, and I already expect more will be made. I've been wondering how much performance do dummy sectors effect wads when you have a bundle of them. Right now, I have dummy sectors placed near the rooms where they will be used for 3D floors.
Screenshot_Doom_20190526_222456.jpg
Screenshot_Doom_20190526_222507.jpg
Screenshot_Doom_20190526_223359.jpg
I've experimented with dummy sectors by placing them far away from the map. I didn't notice any performance changes from placing them real far away, but I did notice that It causes the automap to zoom out very far. I would like to know how you guys handle dummy sectors for this.

Do you place them all in one spot, or do you place them near the room where they will be used?

Do the size of dummy sectors matters as well? Is it better to make them really small (8x8) or bigger (16x16)?
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: Where should I place the Dummy Sectors for my projects?

Post by Kappes Buur »

Since you can zoom in on any part of the automap it does not matter where you place the control (dummy) sector. Personal preference prevails.

It also does not matter what size, or shape, you make the control sectors, with the exception of control sectors where the length of the linedef plays a role in the special used.

I personally like to keep the control sectors fairly close to the game sectors and make them in triangular shape, for example
Spoiler:
But, as mentioned, it's up to you what you like.
22alpha22
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Where should I place the Dummy Sectors for my projects?

Post by 22alpha22 »

I think it is also worth mentioning you can flag all the lines of dummy sectors as hidden so they wont appear on the automap even if the player gets an Alllmap.

Return to “Mapping”