WAD to UDMF under Windows 10?

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
PixelWAD

WAD to UDMF under Windows 10?

Post by PixelWAD »

Which app out there is most up-to-date to converting OG maps into UDMF format?
Before I was just exporting whole map as sectors prefab, then importing into new UDMF but it results in many errors.
Thanks.
Enjay

Re: WAD to UDMF under Windows 10?

Post by Enjay »

GZDoomBuilder does a pretty good job for ZDoomHexen maps. However, it's not so good for Doom format ones (unless I'm doing it wrong) because it keeps the line type numbers and these are not the same between Doom and ZDoomHexen. (e.g. Door line type 1 in Doom format becomes a poly object line in ZDoomHexen.)

However, you could convert a Doom map to ZDoomHexen using ZWADConv, then convert it to UDMF using GZDB.

That is, unless a better method already exists.

For ZDoomHexen to UDMF, open the map in GZDB, select all in sectors mode and press Ctrl-C.

Start a new map, select UDMF as the format and press Ctrl-V to paste the map.

It may need a little tidying after that but it will be mostly functional.
PixelWAD

Post by PixelWAD »

This gives the same result as with prefab importing.
Everything looks fine in gzdoombuilder, but in game I get deep nonexistent scrolling floor effect, kinda like hall of mirrors but not really.

http://50.38.134.5/be_wads/memorial.wad I'm trying to get this wad to work as UDMF to get all the maps to display at once.
19-02-07_010110.jpg
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Strange. I have used the method that I described many times and not had any major issues - including converting map01 of Doom2 as a test before I posted. It worked for me (tm).
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Even for ZDoomHexen, beware of line activation semantics. While the map can be copied 1:1, what will not be done is automatically activating the 'laxmonsteractivation' semantics that for whatever reason were implemented for Hexen format in early ZDoom.
For UDMF this hopelessly broken option needs to be set through MAPINFO. I have seen maps that stopped working properly after conversion due to this.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Is that situations such as monsters automatically being able to activate normal speed doors and certain other line defs?

Is there a list of which particular line types fall into this category anywhere? The wiki entry for laxmonsteractivation isn't particularly detailed.

Most of the maps that I have converted to UDMF via this method have been fairly simple affairs so I really haven't stress-tested the process.

I'm mystified by PixelWAD's screenshot though because that looks like some kind of node-build error or something. I've not had that happen when converting maps like this.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Enjay wrote:Is that situations such as monsters automatically being able to activate normal speed doors and certain other line defs?

Is there a list of which particular line types fall into this category anywhere? The wiki entry for laxmonsteractivation isn't particularly detailed..
Yes, that's it. The things that are affected are some doors, lifts and teleporters but I'd have to read up on it myself first.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

I remember a lot of players having difficulties with this map with projectiles shooting through impassable linedefs and such because of the large size of the map

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/KWKpWov[/imgur]

zwadconv.exe certainly has problems as well, going through the conversion process but producing a wad file which is not recognized by either GZDBBF or Slade3.

Using the Map Analysis tool of GZDBBF generates a large number of errors. Maybe those are the reasons that conversion does not work properly.
Attachments
zwadconv_convlog.txt
(84.03 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
memorial_error.txt
(177.9 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

Return to “Mapping”