[SOLVED] Vertex not aligned with grid?

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
::Bloodfury::
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

[SOLVED] Vertex not aligned with grid?

Post by ::Bloodfury:: »

Hello fellow rip and tearers.

Quick question. As I check my maps for errors, I often find notifications of vertexes not aligned with grid.
This is due the very complex nature I create maps. Often not using "snap to" at all, to create very intricate details
like small cracks and thin wiring on the floors/ceilings.

I have never encountered any errors while playing. But I am curious, could this cause major problems in maps?

On the side note, the Error linedef is shorter than 1 map pixel, can this become fatal? It does say that it can cause errors
on nodebuilding.

However I am quite confident that since we all mostly use latest GZdoom etc. that these errors can just be ignored.

Thanks in advance. :)
Last edited by ::Bloodfury:: on Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
TDRR
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/ Manjaro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Vertex not aligned with grid?

Post by TDRR »

Yes, it can cause errors, like slime trails and stuff like that, not a crash but it can get annoying.

You should set the grid to the smallest size, which is more or less the same.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

To elaborate more on what TDRR is saying, unaligned verteces can cause node builder precision errors which is where those slime trails come from. If you're targeting the OpenGL renderer then there's very little to worry about there since the OpenGL renderer is more concerned about convex subsectors than it is exactly what order every line is in. These problems can still creep in, though, as there may be some points in the map where the entire level just vanishes and the player can only see the objects - but this is very rare.

With more recent versions of the node builder you generally have little to worry about since it can handle it - for the most part. However, the more complex your geometry gets, the more opportunities there are for this issue to arise - and the less likely your map will render correctly at every point.

Funny thing is, that I snap my geometry to the grid at a minimum scale of 0,5 or even 0,125 map pixels when creating very detailed architecture. So it should be aligned to the grid.
But does doombuilder or the doom engine itself not consider this as an alignment, unless grid size is 1mpx miminum?

I rarely make vanilla maps. All my maps tend to use all the nooks and crannies of GZDoom engine, and are intended to be played with OpenGL render.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

It matters more what the node builder think, than what Doom or GZDoom think. If it's complaining things are off the grid, then that means it's telling you to be on the lookout for potential problems. If your map plays just fine though, then you don't have anything to worry about.

Yeah, I have never had any issues with my map rendering, even tho I sometimes make insanely over detailed stuff.
Like creating 3dfloor/vertex/slope sorcery in compination to create 3d models with the builder itself. xD
But okay. Now I know how to handle this matter. And when it matters when it does not. Thank you guys very much. :)

Return to “Mapping”