Can't Seem to Make Secret Sectors Work?

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
HanzvonShreky

Can't Seem to Make Secret Sectors Work?

Post by HanzvonShreky »

I'm currently working on a new map for Doom II, after taking a 1 1/2 year hiatus from doing so. I used to make my maps in the Hexen format, but for this new map I'm using the UDMF standard after hearing that the Hexen format was kinda obsolete. I remember having no issue making secret sectors in Hexen format, however in UDMF it seem's I cant make the damn things work. I select the sector in the Sector Selector mode, and click Secret = Yes in the Generalized Effects tab, I've manually typed in action # 1024 into the Special Effects window, and I've tried giving the sector a unique tag, and nothing seems to work. In game, Doom recognizes that there is a secret, however walking over the secret does not activate it. Strangely enough though, the secret does activate if you walk over it in NOCLIP mode, which is odd. I've looked at a few videos, and a few forum posts, and nobody seems to be having my issue. For reference, I am using GZDoom Builder (Bugfix) R3039 (64-bit). I'm pretty sure this is the latest version of GZDoom Builder, I just downloaded it 2 weeks ago.
SecretSector.PNG
InGameSecretSector.png
Enjay

Re: Can't Seem to Make Secret Sectors Work?

Post by Enjay »

Sometimes, if a secret sector is very small or badly positioned, it can be difficult for the player to trigger it and so the player might just pass right over it without triggering the effect. Other things around it (like steps) can also make them trigger unreliably. The fact that you noclipping allows the secret to trigger makes me think this is likely what's going on in your map. Try a bigger sector, or one in a better position.
HanzvonShreky

Re: Can't Seem to Make Secret Sectors Work?

Post by HanzvonShreky »

Enjay wrote:Sometimes, if a secret sector is very small or badly positioned, it can be difficult for the player to trigger it and so the player might just pass right over it without triggering the effect. Other things around it (like steps) can also make them trigger unreliably. The fact that you noclipping allows the secret to trigger makes me think this is likely what's going on in your map. Try a bigger sector, or one in a better position.
Thank you so much Enjay! I made it so the landing at the top of the staircase is the secret sector, and that seemed to do the trick. Everything works as intended now, thank you!

Return to “Mapping”