How Silent is Silent? [Skybox silencers]

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Enjay

How Silent is Silent? [Skybox silencers]

Post by Enjay »

I thought about posting this in bugs but then I thought it probably isn't one, so just to check - how much is a skybox silencer supposed to silence?

It seems that all actor generated sounds are silenced but moving sectors, switches and terrain noises are not.

Try the attached map. Most of it has been silenced with skybox silencers (plus a silent music entry). However, it has both a moving platform and a couple of doors. The platform can be moved either by pressing on it or using the switch. When the platform moves, it can be heard and if you used the switch it can also be heard. The door to the right also makes a noise when it moves, as does the exit switch beyond.

The door in front does not have skybox silencers in it (neither does the room beyond). When you open the door, the imp on the other side makes it's wake-up sound and this can be heard in the silent zone too.

I've also set up a simple terrain lump that makes the floor make the "misc/chat" sound when something lands on it. Jump up and down and you'll hear misc/chat when you hit the floor. Or give yourself a plasma gun or rocket launcher and shoot the floor (bullets won't do it because I only set the floor to make a noise with its big splash and the default bullet puffs only trigger the small splash).

I know that all of these things can be silenced by other means, I'm just wondering how many of them, if any, should be silenced by the skybox silencer?

I get that skybox silencers are really for silencing a skybox so that noises made in it cannot be heard eslewhere in the map but it can also be useful for special effects in the play area of the map too.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: How Silent is Silent? [Skybox silencers]

Post by Graf Zahl »

That thing is meant to silence actors only. If you want a silent sector movement you have to also set a silent sound sequence.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Fair enough, much as I expected, thanks.

I've since updated the first post with an additional question (and modified map) while you were answering. What about sounds made outwith the silenced area - they carry into it (like a monster noise or an ambient sound or whatever). Again, merely asking the question - should sounds carry into the silent area (I suspect the answer is yes they should)?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Since this thing is labelled "Silence all actor sounds originating from this sector" the answer should be clear.
The entire purpose of this was to have some means to make noisy actors in a such a sector not emit any sound, nothing more, nothing less.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

As expected then. Thanks for confirming.

Return to “Mapping”