Curious Console Warning @ Map Start

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
ReX

Curious Console Warning @ Map Start

Post by ReX »

Upon map start I check the console and see this warning:

Sector 3 (Tag 1) has no lines

Error checking the map and manually checking Sector 3 reveals no problems.

Now here's where the real problem occurs. When I make any kind of change to the map (even a change to a floor texture or a sector's lighting) GZDooM refuses to load the map. I get the following errors:

Sidedef 290 has a bad sector
Sidedef 392 has a bad sector
Sidedef 421 has a bad sector
Sidedef 515 has a bad sector
Line 147 has no front sector
Line 198 has no front sector
The following lines do not have a front sidedef:

These are all associated with Sector #98, which was fine before making the change, but which has now (for all intents and purposes) been deleted from the map. I'm guessing this is a node-building problem, but I can't say for sure.

I'm using GZDooM v3.3.2.
PMap31.zip
Zip containing good & corrupted versions of map
(7.86 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
PS: The map uses a custom texture (not included), which you can simply replace with a ground texture of your choice.
Enjay

Re: Curious Console Warning @ Map Start

Post by Enjay »

It's going to need someone more familiar with the map file structure than me to work it out. When I load the map in DeePsea I get:

I went ahead and loaded it anyway then ran the error checker. Rather unusually, the errors listed were minimal. All I got was:

When the map loaded, one sector just had default floor and ceiling heights and textures on it.

After that, there were just messages about 1S lines without the impassable flag and missing textures. I can't tell whether the error relates to the problem sector or not (maybe it was fixed at load time - related to the first message?)

Loading in Doombuilder, did not give an error message at startup, but it's pretty clear from the view which sector is problematic. (the same one as had the default values in DeePsea):

And the errors said:

Judging by that, sector 3 would probably have been the one identified and removed by DeePsea. It's also probably not related (my guess) to the other errors.

And that's all I have.
ReX

Post by ReX »

Thanks for doing what you can to check. From the warning message & error message (which you also appear to be getting), I gather that the problem is originating in sector #3, which only shows up as a warning in GZDooM. Upon making a change to the map, another problem is getting propagated in sector #98 (perhaps because of sector #3 being messed up).

At any rate, I seemed to have fixed the problem, as follows:

1. The messed up sector in question (#98) was somehow not being 'labeled' as a sector, either by WadAuthor or the node-builder. The 4 linedefs enclosing the sector correctly referenced Sector #98, but that trapezoid was somehow not being recognized as a sector.
2. If I created a sub-sector within sector #98, the new sector was being created as in void space (with one-sided linedefs). This further confirmed that sector #98 was not truly a sector.
3. I created a new sector in the central/circular sector, and the map editor gave it a sector number of (unsurprisingly) 98.
4. Naturally, the original sector #98 - with its proper sector references - magically reappeared as a valid sector on the map. All I had to do was delete the linedefs of the new sector I had created, and the map loads as intended.

Frikkin' forensic work is decimating me by inches.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

ReX wrote: Frikkin' forensic work is decimating me by inches.
I know that you have been using Wadauthor for many years now. After all that time it may seem overwhelming to use GZDoom Builder - Bugfix, but the gained advantages outweigh the initial familiarization pains.

For example, in the Floor Texture mode, shown in Enjay's post, and Visual Preview mode the problem is immediately visible.
Spoiler:
Well, once you stick in the missing texture.

Another reason is that you can use UDMF, which opens up many possibilties to make mapping easier. Especially with 3D constructs, where boris's plugin makes complex structures a lot easier.

:)
ReX

Post by ReX »

Kappes Buur wrote:Wadauthor vs GZDoom Builder - Bugfix
What can I say? I'm a dinosaur :wink:

But in all seriousness, I have been planning to switch to GZDB as well as UDMF, but I've been juggling several projects for many months (even years) and I'm afraid that I'll further lose the little momentum I have by switching to stuff that requires learning.

A few years ago I became quite familiar with DB2 (and a derivative editor CodeImp created for a separate game engine) but have since forgotten a lot of what I learned.

Staying on-topic, I have actually made progress on that map with no additional/similar problems. But my original question seems destined to remain unanswered.

Return to “Mapping”