Doom Builder 2 with 64mb of vram?

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
xzotikk

Doom Builder 2 with 64mb of vram?

Post by xzotikk »

Hey, so I have a potato PC and I love mapping. Soo I was wondering if I can run Doom Builder 2 with 64mb of vram? (Just plain DoomBuilder 2 not GZDoomBuilder and without any plug-ins.)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Doom Builder 2 with 64mb of vram?

Post by Rachael »

Just try it and see what happens. If it crashes, then the answer's no.
xzotikk

Post by xzotikk »

Alright, thanks for the reply. btw. Is there a minimum requirement for vram with DoomBuilder2?

Sorry for my bad English.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

xzotikk wrote:Alright, thanks for the reply. btw. Is there a minimum requirement for vram with DoomBuilder2?

Sorry for my bad English.
We don't know because nobody's put in the time to test. The people that develop these programs don't have tons of different computers to test with. You will be the first.
xzotikk

Post by xzotikk »

wildweasel wrote:We don't know because nobody's put in the time to test. The people that develop these programs don't have tons of different computers to test with. You will be the first.
Lol, guess there's not many people with weak PC's these days. :P
Otherwise DB2 works ok with 64mbs of vram, as far as I can see, altough I haven't done any hardcore testing, but it runs.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

xzotikk wrote:Otherwise DB2 works ok with 64mbs of vram, as far as I can see, altough I haven't done any hardcore testing, but it runs.
And that's exactly what you should've just done to start with.

There's no point in these "does it run on my potato from 20 years ago?" questions when you have said potato to test it on. You get two results: Either it doesn't run, or it does. Or a 3rd like a catastrophic hardware failure, but DB2 is unlikely to cause that.

The way you're describing it, it sounds like the hardware in a Raspberry Pi is more powerful than your computer right now. Consider that: it's only $35 USD! Granted it doesn't run DB2 or associated projects (yet, at least until we can properly port GZDB to Linux), but even still you could get a laptop off of eBay for $50 USD that will do everything GZDoom related quite decently without any additional hardware. And it'll likely have a legit Windows installed on it, anyhow, which can run GZDB just fine.

If you can't even afford that, then I really don't know what to say...
xzotikk

Post by xzotikk »

Rachael wrote: And that's exactly what you should've just done to start with.

There's no point in these "does it run on my potato from 20 years ago?" questions when you have said potato to test it on. You get two results: Either it doesn't run, or it does. Or a 3rd like a catastrophic hardware failure, but DB2 is unlikely to cause that.

The way you're describing it, it sounds like the hardware in a Raspberry Pi is more powerful than your computer right now. Consider that: it's only $35 USD! Granted it doesn't run DB2 or associated projects (yet, at least until we can properly port GZDB to Linux), but even still you could get a laptop off of eBay for $50 USD that will do everything GZDoom related quite decently without any additional hardware. And it'll likely have a legit Windows installed on it, anyhow, which can run GZDB just fine.

If you can't even afford that, then I really don't know what to say...
Well, first of all, I apologize if my questions sound stupid, or if I am bothering you here somehow. I wrote on this forum beacuse the DB2 site says that if I have any questions, I should write on forums like Doomworld,NewDoom and ZDoom Forums. So I thought someone here, who has a lot of experience with DB2 might know.. Otherwise I agree with what you said, I did describe my PC like a total potato, but it was more of a joke than anything else really..

Sorry for my bad English, Best regards -Adam
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Questions are fine - but when asking them, keep in mind there are some that only you can answer, and the way you can answer them is just try it.

The primary maintainer of DB2 has long since moved on to other things - probably because his work got forked and maintained by others for their specific needs, and he probably didn't see the need to maintain a master version anymore (I'm guessing it might be because he was finished adding what features he personally wanted). So he probably won't be answering questions anymore, sadly.

Return to “Mapping”