rename texture, creates weird problem

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Valken

rename texture, creates weird problem

Post by Valken »

Hi all,

I was trying to merge The Lost Episodes viewtopic.php?f=42&t=16291 into wadsmoosh, and found one of the texture lump would not extract properly because the name was MODWALL\.lmp.

the \ character caused wadsmoosh to crap out due to windows name convention. I tried to use slade to copy that lump from the original WAD into the PK3 file but again, due to windows naming, it crapped out GZDOOM on load up.

So I extracted and renamed the lump to MODWALLC.LMP, using both SLADE and Doombuilder to replace that linedef name, which fixed the texture.

But when loading the map with doom_complete.pk3, it would automatically replace one of the hanging corpse behind the player spawn with an explosion.

If I do not edit the texture name, it would show the correct hanging corpse, but the texture would be missing due to the name. The game plays fine as is but is annoying with that missing texture.

The edited map also works in both Doom and Doom 2 wads respectively.

I check the map in Doombuilder and the thingy does say it is hanging corpse.

I made no other changes other than renaming the lump to something GZDOOM and PK3 can accept.

Can anyone advise what do to? I've attached the map wad with the lumps for review.
Attachments
maps.7z
Lost Episodes E5M8 map wad with textures to check for errors.
(61.19 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: rename texture, creates weird problem

Post by Kappes Buur »

Rename those textures to MODWALLA, MODWALLB and MODWALLC.
Then highlight them and rightclick.
Graphics - Add to TEXTUREx
Import Base Resource Archive
That creates the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps.

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/FQp9VWS[/imgur]
Save.

Also read http://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?pag ... t-Textures
Valken

Post by Valken »

Thanks for the info. Let me try this and see where it goes. Also, I have related questions about texture or patches priority within a PK3 file.

Example - I create a pk3 file. In it I have all the current directories:

acs
flats
graphics
hires
mapinfo
maps
music
patches
scripts
sounds
sprites
textures

If I ADD a WAD file that also contains maps, patches, etc... will the WAD file's TEXTUREx and PNAMES OVER RIDE the flats/patches/textures directories or will that it only apply to the maps INSIDE the said WAD file?

Example - I have MAPS 1-10 in the MAPS folder, with MAPS 11-20 inside the WAD using the assigned TEXTUREx and PNAMES as those textures are unique to it?

What if I add a second WAD with MAPS 21-30 with its own unique TEXTUREx and PNAMES lumps as well? Will that wad only apply those textures to the second WAD's maps only even with another WAD and maps inside the PK3's map folder?

Or will the second wad's TEXTUREx and PNAMEs override the first wad, and the flats/patches folder content from within the PK3 file?

I seem to find that many wads have its only unique flat/textures but also use the same names as the default IWADs due to most likely facelift thinking.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

As long as there are no conflicts with same named lumps, and especially entries in MAPINFO lumps, if there are several, you should be able to append the normal wad file to the end of the lumps of the pk3 pwad

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/8FE7AB3[/imgur]

and have it work properly. Just watch out for text lumps which will concatenate and which will not. This, more or less, is the same as dragging various pwads onto the game icon.

However, that defeats the purpose of the pk3 structure, which is designed to make housekeeping of the lumps painless.
Valken

Post by Valken »

Hi Knappes,

Thank you for the kind reply.

I tried your method but it created and issue. For some reason, I noticed the updated PNAMES file assigned the renamed textures with a new ID. Then when I loaded the map, it used a different texture instead of the one I assigned, even though I did updated the map sidedef with Slade or Doombuilder and saving it.

So what I did was just EDIT the map within Slade, changing the side def names to as you stated, and exporting the map and lumps into the native PK3 file. EG - map wads goes into MAPS, MODWALLA, B and C into PATCHES.

It worked even if I did not import the TEXTUREx or PNAMES lump files.

I guess the PK3 does not require it where as a WAD file would?

Also I found the conflict that was causing the explosion sprite replacement for the hanging torso sprite in the first post. It was the Doom 64 Doom 2 mod. I had it loading automatically and when I removed it, the problem went away.

I tried to edit the D64D2 wad manually - removed and merged all the the mapinfo, language and dehacked, entries into the wadsmooshed PK3 mapinfo, language and mapmenu files, then added the WAD to the pk3.

The maps work but the hanging sprite replacement still occurs.

It does this even if I breakdown the wad into separate folder entries into the native PK3 file so I suspect a decorate file or maybe an animdef or texture definition file is doing this.

Do I still need the texture definition files in a PK3 if I convert it from WAD?

I am using slade to extract all the relevant files manually - flats, sprites, patches, sounds, music, maps etc... to the corresponding folders but maybe its because I am leaving the TEXTUREx and PNAMEs and markers out?

Return to “Mapping”