Vent fan using polyobjects.

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Gorman Frebmane

Vent fan using polyobjects.

Post by Gorman Frebmane »

I have a problem figuring out how to use polyobjects to make a fan for a vent that i am making in a map, i would like to know of a way for it to be done since the wiki dosent have anything on it as far as i know...
Enjay

Re: Vent fan using polyobjects.

Post by Enjay »

"to make a fan for a vent" is a bit vague, so it's difficult to know what you are trying to do with poly objects. I can think of plenty of quite different ways that someone might describe something as a "fan for a vent". Polyobjects are not particularly flexible and so wouldn't be suitable for most of them.
Gorman Frebmane

I guess polyobjects are out of the picture but what would you recommend to use to make a vent fan?
right now i just got the idea it could be done with 3d floors but i cant wrap my head around it due to it probably requiring a complex series of commands in acs.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I presume you're referring to a flat "ceiling"-type fan. Used to be people had a lot of tricks for doing fans (both vertical and horizontal) such as animated textures, small sector slices raising and lowering instantly in sequence, etc.

Really thought, these days the best option would be a 3D model. Make or download a simple fan model, attach it to an actor in MODELDEF, and have it rotate constantly.

8-)
Gorman Frebmane

welll the problem is that i have no idea how to model, i have attempted but failed and the other thing is that where do you find a 3d model that is compatible with gzdooms model support more specifically a vent fan model.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Gorman Frebmane wrote:welll the problem is that i have no idea how to model, i have attempted but failed
You can find one, as said before.
and the other thing is that where do you find a 3d model that is compatible with gzdooms model support more specifically a vent fan model.
That's what conversion programs and plugins are for. There's even a Blender export plugin for MD3 models in this forum.
Gorman Frebmane

Actually scratch that, i figured a way better solution to it which will also fix the problem of shadows, i will take a animated texture of a fan, make a black version of it, make it transparent and boom its the shadow of the vent fan.
would save alot of time doing something stupid with acs or something with 3d models and acs.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Check out RTC-3057: Blue script 328 for a believable fan, which is easy to replicate:
Spoiler:
Other than that, perhaps Czabo's cogwheel could serve as a fan.
Gorman Frebmane

It appears i dont need those scince i fixed the problem using the cheap technique i suggested using 3d floors and some editing magic, although the shadows may not affect entities its more than enough.

Though i must thank people because they did give me advice i could use to make maps and do other things such as cogs or something like that....
Thank you so much for your help!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

For future reference, Willem Sitters has made at least one fan model in MD2 format for his Risen 3D maps and probably for his model packs as well. The model packs are already released for general use but he's also been very good in the past at letting people use stuff taken from his maps.

[edit]
These are from "Genetic Disaster"

That last one even has a nice rotating shadow on the floor:

[/edit]

Return to “Mapping”