Dynamic lights flicker after moving them with TeleportGroup

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Kraja

Dynamic lights flicker after moving them with TeleportGroup

Post by Kraja »

Just as the title says - i'm trying to move 6 Dynamic light sources with TeleportGroup(), but after doing so they start flickering like crazy.

I've had this happen to me on my previous map too, but lights there were flickering seemingly at random. This time however it happens every time.
Does anyone know how to solve this issue?
Kraja

Re: Dynamic lights flicker after moving them with TeleportGr

Post by Kraja »

That's the thing - they're normal point lights.
Grant it - i just figured out a workaround with Thing_Activate and Thing_Deactivate, but still - that's a weird little bug right there.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Dynamic lights flicker after moving them with TeleportGr

Post by Graf Zahl »

Dynamic lights can not link themselves into the light lists properly when being teleported. Deactivating and reactivating them is really the only option you have. Glad you found it. ;)

That said, the entire implementation is due for a rewrite from the ground up. The current system with lights being actors is just too troublesome. (It's only being kept because it works and the rewite would be quite invasive.) If the lights were just attachments to some inert actors the problem would mostly go away immediately.

Return to “Mapping”