Automatic shifting water

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Reactor

Automatic shifting water

Post by Reactor »

Last time I asked you about raising/lowering water level controlled by clogging a drain, for a thought-up water puzzle on the level Liability Eliminationz. This question is similar, and I believe it's a tad easier. Some of the levels in the campaign would feature a fluid level which would automatically raise and lower by itself, oscillating between two height values. Uh...I cannot really explain well. Here, in this video, you can see a perfect example from 9:19:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEAEhJYxBgo

I found this kind of thing pretty spectacular and useful. When introduced at the level Finderz keeperz, it'd only serve as an eye-candy, and would be perfectly harmless to fall in the water. Later, however, then the player got used to it, I'd desire to use the same kind of shifting water level on nastier liquids as well - hot molten lava for instance. That'd surely create some interesting jumping puzzles, and of course, would add the level atmosphere a lot. I've seen such thing in Duke Nukem 3D as well (Lunar Reactor level maybe), though it was more like waves in the water, and didn't look that good. I would be fully contented with a simple shifting water.
It doesn't matter if this effect would be a global setting, I only care about whether or not it is possible to achieve this effect. Guess it can be done with some tinkering around with ACS, though I haven't the slightest clue, how. Thank you in advance :)
Rip and Tear

Re: Automatic shifting water

Post by Rip and Tear »

You may want to look at the Floor_Waggle special

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Floor_Waggle
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

There is such thing? Thank you, I didn't notice it :) I guess this is the perfect solution then.
Can it be used on large floor coverages as well, like uh, an outdoor level with lots of shifting water?
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

The more sectors, the finer the wave action :D
Spoiler:
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

So large flat areas aren't a problem them! Just the thing I was looking for! Perfect! :)

Return to “Mapping”