[Solved] Warning: Linked portal did not have matching...

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Nash

[Solved] Warning: Linked portal did not have matching...

Post by Nash »

I'm making this little illusion where you can click on a door of a building, and it will bring you inside, which is really a separate section on the map:

I only want to allow being able to see the exterior from the inside. I don't care about not being able to see into the building when you are outside, nor would this work because you can't customize the bottom and top height of the portal, it seems to render portals as tall as the sector behind it or something like that.

Anyway, the problem is I'm apparently getting this warning because the portals are only one way. The portal target lines outside the house have no special on them; as I said, I don't need you to be able to see inside.

Anyway, just to suppress this warning, I made the portals render inside. However, now I'm getting this:

So what am I supposed to do here? To reiterate, I don't need outside to render inside - as a matter of fact, that should be avoided because I don't want pointless rendering to slow the map down... the whole purpose of separating interior and exterior spaces this way was to optimize rendering.
Last edited by Nash on Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gez

Re: Warning: Linked portal did not have matching reverse por

Post by Gez »

You probably should use visual portals instead of linked portals. Unless players are supposed to go through the windows?
Nash

Post by Nash »

Players are able to go through the windows and doors, but not by directly interacting with the linedefs. Instead, those door and window models have some basic linking/teleporting system where I can pair up the interior and exterior versions of the models, you press +use on them and you'll transport appropriately.

The reason I made them linked is that you can destroy the doors and windows, which will swap the models out with destroyed versions of the meshes with a big gaping hole. I want the player to be able to shoot through that portal hole when they're revealed.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Which commit introduced this warning, and why? Truth is, these warnings started appearing on my existing maps which previously had no problems with my setup.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Simply put, what you are trying to do is not supposed to work. Linked portals must be two-way to work as intended.
Nash

Post by Nash »

There really isn't a way at all to only have a portal functional on 1 side? No workarounds even? I really cannot have the other side of the portal for what I'm trying to do here.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Do visual+simple teleporters. Even if you set up linked portals elsewhere in the map, the simple teleporter portals will work just fine, and don't have nearly the same restrictions as linked portals do.

In fact, the warnings even tell you what the engine is converting the portals to, internally - and yes, if you're getting warnings that does mean it is going to force a portal type change, anyhow.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Well here is my problem... setting the outside lines to "simple" causes this. Is there no way to hide the portal from the outside?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

You probably could put teleport_group specials on the outside lines and move the player seamlessly across the portal.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Rachael wrote: In fact, the warnings even tell you what the engine is converting the portals to, internally
I am an idiot. The answer was staring at me right in my face from the start. =P Apologies to both Gez and Rachael who pretty much nailed the answer and I somehow was too stupid to understand!

I also selected the wrong lines to replace the portal, and chose the wrong portal type.

Read the warnings, people! The engine suggests you what to do!

Return to “Mapping”