Difference between Static and Eternity-compatibly in portals

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
insightguy

Difference between Static and Eternity-compatibly in portals

Post by insightguy »

I've recently been experimenting on mapping with portals and just want to ask, asides from the look in the automap, what are the main differences of Static and Eternity-compatibly portals in terms of use and level design?

The wiki says that there is none functionally but I've seen some people say that monster pathing works in Eternity-compatibly, is this true?

(Moved from scripting due to me not reading the subforum I'm in)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Difference between Static and Eternity-compatibly in por

Post by Rachael »

Eternity-compatibility portals force the target line to portal back to the source with the same attribute, nothing more. It's mainly useful because you have room for only one arg in the Doom map format, which is what Eternity used back in the day when it was developed. So a portal pair in Eternity would just be a portal and a lineid target. And since GZDoom has some propositional support for Eternity maps, this allows GZDoom to support the same system as well. (In fact, originally, the line portal system in GZDoom was developed with an Eternity map that made extensive use of the feature)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The only difference is that they use different parameter setup methods to create the link. Eternity's portals had to be defined with Doom-map-format specials which can be inconvenient if you have true line args and IDs available, so they could not be mapped 1:1 to how the original submission for line portals handled this.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

@Rachel and @Graf Thanks for the rundown, gives me a better perspective on things

I see, after some experimentation I see now that interactive (which I mistakenly called static) is similar to eternity but tends to be more forgiving (2 portal lines can face the same direction in interactive and not in eternity) BUT eternity has some advantages and found out through trial and error about some quirks that:
  • Monsters will only chase and shoot you correctly if you pass through one portal, they tend to mess up if you pass through several portals (MAP01)
  • Monsters will see you through eternity lines but not interactive ones (MAP01 & MAP02)
  • Shooting a monster though a portal will make them go towards you relative to your position on the map rather than through the portal, but can still go through the portal if they somehow path through it by accident (MAP02)
Whether that's a bug or feature, IDK
Attachments
PortalTest.wad
The 2 maps in here
(160.27 KiB) Downloaded 86 times

Return to “Mapping”