Eyes Below/Above Fake Floor

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Hindsight2020

Eyes Below/Above Fake Floor

Post by Hindsight2020 »

ARGH. I think I'm doing it right, but nothing happens when I dive into the water or surface, I just stay in the same sector. Can anyone point me to a WIKI article that gives some examples or a better explanation of how to use these things?

I've got the Thing ednum 9993/9992 in the sector to be activated, 77 telelport group action, a source teleport (Z Height) and a destination. Still nothing.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: Eyes Below/Above Fake Floor

Post by Kappes Buur »

Perhaps my example pwad will help you out
Spoiler:
Attachments
eyes_below.wad
(143.4 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Hindsight2020

Post by Hindsight2020 »

Unfortunately I still am not getting any results. Maybe because I'm using 3d floors for the swimable area and not transfer heights? But 3d floor still creates a fake floor, right? Either way I tried transfer heights but that just caused more problems. The affect I'm going for is an underwater area different than what is above, like in KDiZD. This is getting so frustrating because I've copied KDiZD to a T, except using 3d Floors instead. I'll try getting Transfer Heights to work and report back.

*EDIT: SUCCESS! It was the 3D Floors vs Transfer Heights. Just took a little fidgeting to get it to work. I'm so rusty because I've been away from this for a couple years. Thanks for the help!
Gez

Post by Gez »

Hindsight2020 wrote:But 3d floor still creates a fake floor, right?
No, they create a real floor. The fake floor stuff is older and dates from when 3D floors weren't supported by the engine, so you had to fake it with other effects.
Hindsight2020

Post by Hindsight2020 »

Then is there a newer way to achieve the same affect without using eyes above/below? Or is that why these features are still around?
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Of course, this could have been accomplished with only one Transfer_Height sector. The only reason I used that many was to get a rough brightness gradient to total darkness as you fall down the well.
Hindsight2020 wrote:Then is there a newer way to achieve the same affect without using eyes above/below? Or is that why these features are still around?
I don't know if this is newer, instead of using fake floors (Transfer Heights or 3D floors) and thing type 9993 (Eyes below fake floor) you could simply use thing type 9999 (Actor hits Floor) with a Teleport special.
Spoiler:

Return to “Mapping”