Advice For A "Returning" Mapper?

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Athel

Advice For A "Returning" Mapper?

Post by Athel »

Hey guys, long time no see 8) I'm afraid I'm a bit rusty at these forums, but I figure since this does have to do with mapping, I'd put it here. I do apologize in advance if my judgement was incorrect.

So, I'm trying to get back into the hang of DooM mapping, and I figured what better way to get semi decent than to ask community members?
On my YouTube channel, I posted a video of me working ("speed mapping") on a map, it was mostly me working out ACS and all that jazz.
Spoiler: Vid in question
I am essentially asking if you guys have any general advice for me so that I can make some actual decent content here. My goal of this is to make a sort of "underground tech base" sort of thing. I'm afraid texturing remains a bit of an issue, aha!

Thanks in advance!
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: Advice For A "Returning" Mapper?

Post by Kappes Buur »

The big ticket item is that the long awaited DoomScript has arrived in the form of ZScript.

Randi decided to discontinue work on ZDoom.
Now, GZDoom has both, the software renderer and the hardware renderer.
Rachel's work on QZDoom has been incorporated into GZDoom as well.

MaxEd discontinued his involvement with GZDoom Builder.
ZZYZX has taken up the mantle and named the editor MeowsaurEditor GZDoom Builder Bugfix.
The latest version is also available for 64 bit now.

Slade3 has been updated and improved.

Other then that, all is still the same.
Good to see you back. :)
Athel

Post by Athel »

I knew about Randi quitting, also know about Slade3, didn't know about the GZDoom Builder, did know about QZDoom

Nice info, and thanks! Your name seems familiar to me :D
kodi

Post by kodi »

Play a bunch of well-received mapsets and take a moment to reflect after each map. Put down some notes on what made the map enjoyable or not enjoyable for you. Open particularly good maps in gzdb to get a feel for layouts maybe?
Personally, I really like maps with abstract layouts but immersive/realistic looks and themes. "Didy" is my favorite mapper so far and he uses such a style.

Return to “Mapping”