Suggestions for detail and texturing

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Suggestions for detail and texturing

Post by R4L »

Hey guys. I'm working on a horror mod, and was browsing some images on google to get some ideas for areas I might want to have in my mod. Image
This image came up and, while I love the aesthetic, I'm wondering how exactly that level of detail can be achieved in GZDB. I know Total Chaos could do it, and I'm wondering exactly how. That would all be texture work I'm guessing, but how?
Nash

Re: Suggestions for detail and texturing

Post by Nash »

Not texturing advice, but lighting advice:

The image you posted would probably need area lights to be re-created, which GZDoom doesn't have. But I guess you can simulate area lights with careful placement of attenuated point lights and/or spotlights.

Here's an old image using the then-new attenuated point lights. With very-wide-angled spotlights I imagine it would look better.

R4L
Global Moderator

Post by R4L »

Oh I am already using attenuated lights now. I wasn't sure what the difference was between normal lights, but you explained it in another thread and it made sense (the cell phone light example I believe) so I switched over.

Any advice on texturing locations like this?
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Really it boils down to getting/making textures that match the aesthetic, which can be a crapshoot sometimes. Look at games like Silent Hill, particularly. That game does a lot with a pretty limited texture set for each particular area.

In this case, I think a good approach would be to have a base "clean" wall texture that tiles horizontally, and then several chunks of decay and damage you can apply as patches (via TEXTURES). That way you can quickly create variants that match the wall sizes you're working with.

8-)
R4L
Global Moderator

Post by R4L »

That's a really good idea! I didn't think that's how patches worked lol. I expected to do a lot of texture work and that would just help out greatly if that's the case.

Return to “Mapping”