Sector "Unpacking": Streamlined Process Possible?

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
ReX

Sector "Unpacking": Streamlined Process Possible?

Post by ReX »

I would like to know if there is an automated way (read: non-manual) to "unpack" sectors - i.e., reducing the number of sectors to create similar, but larger, sectors. Refer to the diagram below:
Illustration of Concept
Illustration of Concept
I can't use sector scaling, as the map already fills the entire map canvas. Moreover, if I scale the entire map I'll be scaling sectors that don't need to be scaled.

Basically, I'm trying to do this so that there will be fewer sectors in the map. Most of the map is a vast, outdoor area consisting of 256 x 256 sectors that are bisected into triangles (see picture, above). I have used vertex slope things to create the terrain. However, it seems like the number (possibly thousands) of sectors is causing the map to slow down. I believe that converting 256 x 256 sectors into 512 x 512 sectors will make the map run much faster, without making the terrain look unduly rough.

I started out trying to manually unpack the sectors, but I quickly tired of the task. Is there a way to automate the process, at least for most of the sectors?

Thanks.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: Sector "Unpacking": Streamlined Process Possible?

Post by Kappes Buur »

You are still using Wadauthor? :shock:

Not automatic but made easier when using the DB2 family of editors (DB2, GZDB, GZDBBF, DBX):
  • use Shift+J (default) to merge highlighted sectors into one
ReX

Post by ReX »

Kappes Buur wrote:You are still using Wadauthor? :shock:
That's what happens when one gets old. One clings to that which is familiar. Heh.
use Shift+J (default) to merge highlighted sectors into one
In other words, select pairs of triangles, and use the merge function you pointed out, correct? That would still require hundred of merges, but it would still be much faster than manually editing the triangles.

Thanks.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

ReX wrote:
Kappes Buur wrote:You are still using Wadauthor? :shock:
That's what happens when one gets old. One clings to that which is familiar. Heh.
On the upside you'll then be able to use UDMF, and all the features which Wadauthor does not have. :)
ReX wrote:...., select pairs of triangles, ....
Not just pairs, any number of sectors as required.
You just have to keep an eye out for sector height variations which might need to be adjusted.
ReX

Post by ReX »

Kappes Buur wrote:On the upside you'll then be able to use UDMF, and all the features which Wadauthor does not have. :)
Agreed. But then, I'll have to decide on how best to spend my time - learning UDMF, or learning how to adjust the valve on my apparatus for optimal oxygen intake. Heh.
Kappes Buur wrote:Not just pairs, any number of sectors as required.
You just have to keep an eye out for sector height variations which might need to be adjusted.
Yes, I gathered that more an 2 sectors could be merged, and I was using the term "pairs" loosely. As a matter of fact, in my example, I will need to select 4 triangles in order to merge them into a single triangle. But thanks for the clarification.

I was also aware of the sector height consideration. Luckily, my terrain consists of a completely flat surface using vertex height things to create the geography.

On the one hand, I'm eager to start using the merge method you described. On the other hand, I know that the excitement will wear off once I've done a few dozen merges, and then it'll be a slog to get the rest done. [I wonder if I should crowd-source this task. Ha!]
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

ReX wrote: Agreed. But then, I'll have to decide on how best to spend my time - learning UDMF, or learning how to adjust the valve on my apparatus for optimal oxygen intake. Heh.
Using UDMF doesnt involve any "learning" - it just has more features. You dont need to use them, if you dont want to. It just allows you, not forces you.
ReX

Post by ReX »

ramon.dexter wrote:Using UDMF doesnt involve any "learning" - it just has more features. You dont need to use them, if you dont want to. It just allows you, not forces you.
I understood it to be a text-based format. Doesn’t that require learning?

At any rate, let me poke around to see what it’s all about.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

ReX all you have to do is get used to GZDB as an editor. It's very intuitive and easy to learn. :) You'll be fine, just don't let yourself be afraid of it. :)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Another encouragement to give UDMF a try. As a user, you won't even notice anything different. Workflow remains the same. Honestly when I tried UDMF for the first time, I don't even remember the experience, simply because the experience was so seamless. All editing tools remain the same.

The data used to store the level is in a different format, but this is invisible to you. On the other hand, what you get are much more editing features, some annoying limits removed, things like that. And as someone else said above, you don't HAVE to use the new features if you don't want to. You can still make basic BOOM-style levels in UDMF if that's all you cared about. :D

Of course this involves using an editor that fully supports UDMF (like GZDoom Builder BugFix) but I mean, there's nothing bad about using GZDBBF in 2018 (you get a cool real-time 3D view, this increases productivity x1000000!). GZDBBF is easy to learn, trust me!
ReX

Post by ReX »

ReX wrote:On the one hand, I'm eager to start using the merge method you described. On the other hand, I know that the excitement will wear off once I've done a few dozen merges, and then it'll be a slog to get the rest done.
I have been using DB2 to merge the sectors (I've used DB2 before, and had played around with GZDB2 but found it to be finicky - I still haven't given GZDB-Bugfix a try, and I might do that soon). As I expected, the excitement quickly wore off, and now I dread looking at the map in DB2. I've merged almost 3,000 sectors, and have about as much remaining. Oh, joy!
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

What are you doing that you had that many sectors to merge in the first place?
ReX

Post by ReX »

zrrion the insect wrote:What are you doing that you had that many sectors to merge in the first place?
I had originally created the map as a vast, open snowfield, and used sectors and floor height things to create somewhat complex terrain. In the middle of the plain is a large & multi-faceted cathedral, composed of a multitude of 3D sectors. In addition, I am using weather effects to create a gentle snowfall. All these factors are contributing to slowing the map down.

The terrain was constructed mostly of 256 x 256 square sectors bisected to create the triangles necessary for the floor height things to work. The total number of such sectors exceeded 6,000. I figured that I could get similar terrain by using 512 x 512 square bisected sectors, thereby reducing the number of sectors from 6,000 to about 1,500, and resulting in better frame rates.

But I have now completed the process. Here's what it looked like before:
Original Map
Original Map
Here's what it looks like now, after hours of tedium and mind-numbing, monotonous repetition:
Modified Map
Modified Map
And here are some pictures of the map in question.

Return to “Mapping”