OPINION POLL

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
cortlong50

OPINION POLL

Post by cortlong50 »

hey guys (if this is in the wrong area feel free to move it)

im trying to get a feel for how people like (or dont like) slower maps?

like lets say i start the first map pretty bare bones and scary with more puzzle based gameplay and scrounging to get your kit up (packing ammo and stuff) more of a stroll through a gorgeous map situation, and then the second map is full on doom?

are people opposed to that kind of stuff? i personally dont play doom to solve puzzles and wander around an abandoned area...i come for the murder...but i think a break for a minute is always welcome. especially the first map to kind of set the tone. and then the second map just start kicking their ass.

im going for immersion, because i want you to think about playing it even after youre done. there were plenty of gorgeous map packs released this year and plenty of good cacoward winners...but few that really sucked me in if you know what i mean. and there was a few (waterlab for instance) that immediately i was like "yup. im in this until i beat it.

is that something you guys appreciate or is that boring?
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: OPINION POLL

Post by gwHero »

I agree with you, I like building tension up, and certainly immersion is very important for me. However, for some this might be by killing hundreds of enemies right from the start, but that's not my cup of tea. In the end, variety and surprise is key.
TensorMatrix

Post by TensorMatrix »

Yeah i like that idea, because i think slower, more atmospheric maps are really enjoyable to play even in a fast paced game like Doom as long as they aren't completely monsterless and filled with switch-hunting puzzles, running back and forth the map just to open one door.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

TensorMatrix wrote:Yeah i like that idea, because i think slower, more atmospheric maps are really enjoyable to play even in a fast paced game like Doom as long as they aren't completely monsterless and filled with switch-hunting puzzles, running back and forth the map just to open one door.
I don't think doom should really be considered fast paced, I prefer turning allways run off.
a map should start with you being able to kill 2 or 3 easy monsters without being disturbed
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

gwHero wrote:I agree with you, I like building tension up, and certainly immersion is very important for me. However, for some this might be by killing hundreds of enemies right from the start, but that's not my cup of tea. In the end, variety and surprise is key.
this comment right here gives me hope. im hoping the varied amounts of different styles i put in will be what makes this map pack.
in fact all your input is awesome. would you be interested in playtesting the mappack once i finish this level?
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by gwHero »

cortlong50 wrote: would you be interested in playtesting the mappack once i finish this level?
I certainly do! Would be honored. :)
juizzysquirt

Post by juizzysquirt »

I think it's all about correct pacing of the action and exploration within a level, too much either one is bad. One thing I enjoyed in games such as Tomb Raider and Uncharted was the certain predictability, I generally dislike when games throw me off by sudden ambushes when it shouldn't be expected.

Return to “Mapping”