auto-align issues in GZDB 2.3.0

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
cortlong50

auto-align issues in GZDB 2.3.0

Post by cortlong50 »

has anyone else noticed that aligning textures in GZDB 2.3 is a nightmare?
when using the autoalign tool on a line that has been subdivided more than three times when you align the texture it almost always botches it and turns the entire texture into a mess?

this never used to happen on DB2. wondering if there is a work around or something?

also it resets the offsets of a texture whenever i subdivide the line...another thing that never used to happen on DB2. which is why i used DB2 for so long. getting used to GZDB has been awesome but these little things to fix are fuckin time consuming.

also...of subject. is there any reason why slade wont associate with .wads? for some reason windows wont let it be the default program to open .wads. and ive checked all my permissions and stuff...everything seems fine. has anyone had this issue before. i wanted to update my slade and...of course it couldnt just be easy.

EDIT SLADE RESOLUTION
Spoiler:
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: auto-align issues in GZDB 2.3.0

Post by Kappes Buur »

ZZYZX made some fixes to the autoalign code in R2847 and R2848 of GZDBBF.
Maybe try that.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

didnt realize there was a new version out
Thanks man!

EDIT:

nope...i was actually using the newest version and whatever revisions that person made to the auto-align system is what broke it.
if i use older versions it works just fine. so thats definitely the culprit. so that...sucks. because i dont wanna use an older version.

but the fact that it resets the textures offset whenever i subdivide a linedef is a bad design choice (because i am doing so constantly thus making me have to constantly align textures every time i draw a vert) and the auto-alignment is absolutely unusable. whatever changes they made they did a horrible job hahaha, i normally dont say things like that about someone elses work but unless theres like 2-3 divisions on the line it refuses to align property without fail. especially mid textures.
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

I get texture misalignments when I change the height of sectors, for example

1. I make a new map
Spoiler:
2. I randomize the ceiling heights which causes misalignment
Spoiler:
3. Pressing CTRL+A restores the alignment
Spoiler:
4. I also get misalignments when I make a recessed door, but that is fixed by selecting all involved textures. Again pressing CTRL+A aligns all textures to the last selected texture.

Other than that I cannot say that I noticed any misalignments.
It would be interesting to see screenshots of what you experience.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

sorry for the late reply man, and thanks for the help, im about to pass out but ill post some screens tomorrow, but its still very much an issue and quite frankly the most fuckin frustrating thing ive ever experienced with GZDB hahaha, despite all of its eccentricities, whatever was changed seriously made aligning any more than one sided lines flabbergastingly dumb.

where the issue is (just so i can specify) is when i draw a bunch of lines and apply middle textures to them (lets say like a railing) and try to align. it ends up just completely destroying the textures and misaligns all of them even worse.

also is there any way to turn off the resetting of texture alignment when subdividing a line? i see an option in editing (under preferences) called "when splitting a linedef" but that doesnt seem to do anything when i change it.

EDIT.

actually screw it. here are the screenshots.
the bottom one is before. the top one is after dividing the line and the middle two are after "aligning" it. and ive followed your instructions but man...that autoalignment system is terrible all around.

https://imgur.com/a/qh08Q
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

According to the Help section, these are the assignments for texture alignment.
Spoiler:
The A key restored the alignment of the railing texture after splitting the linedef for the railing.
Spoiler:
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

now as you can see i have quite a few railings all lined up as middle textures and that seems to be where it gets confused. i dont know, ive found a work around for now but this was never an issue with DB2. so i guess its a little frusttrating haha.

i also dont understand the sense in making it so every time you split a linedef it resets the textures. weird choice.

Return to “Mapping”