A good map editor?

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Mav3r1ck

A good map editor?

Post by Mav3r1ck »

I'm not sure if this question goes here.

I'm looking for a good map editor that supports 3d sectors, slopes, colored lighting and many other cool features. What would be the best choice for what I'm looking for?
Gez

Re: A good map editor?

Post by Gez »

Technically, all map editors support these things, as long as you can input the required values in the relevant boxes. So I'm going to interpret "support" as "accurately preview in 3D mode".

In first place, GZDB-BF. It's the currently maintained version of the DB2 fork made specifically to provide enhanced support of all GZDoom features. It should be reasonably complete.

In second place, SLADE 3. It doesn't display as many features as GZDB-BF (no 3D floors yet, for example) but it does handle some of them.

In third place, DBX. It's based on Doom Builder 2 rather than GZDoom Builder, and so it doesn't have as many niceties for GZDoom editing, but it does still have some of them.
Mav3r1ck

Post by Mav3r1ck »

GZDB-BF is something I did look into. I remember seeing something about the author discontinuing this project and that GZDB-BF served as it's replacement.

I used GZDB-BF and ran across a problem. While attempting the Doom 64 colored lighting feature that came with it. The problem I'm having is that the colored lighting itself doesn't show up during gameplay testing. It will show during the visual and 2d mode as layers of different lighting just fine (like how it is in Doom 64) but not during gameplay. It shows up during gameplay as a bland sector with no colored lighting.
Gez

Post by Gez »

You need a recent version of GZDoom and to be using OpenGL for them to be rendered.
Mav3r1ck

Post by Mav3r1ck »

Where would I be able to download it?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Mav3r1ck

Post by Mav3r1ck »

Thank you, I'll also look more into the GZDB-BF later on.

Return to “Mapping”