3D Floor Water Current

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

3D Floor Water Current

Post by Kinsie »

Hi, I built a room that has you criss-crossing around a pool. It looks pretty nice.

Ideally, I'd like to have the water (which is a 3D floor) scroll the player around, so that if you fall in you get carried back to the start of the room. Any ideas on the best way to accomplish this?
Nevander

Re: 3D Floor Water Current

Post by Nevander »

Unless I imagined it, there is some way to set water or wind currents... maybe not with 3D floors exclusively but definitely in UDMF somehow. Maybe I'm misremembering.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Most sector specials that affect the floor of a control sector will affect the entire swimmable area of its corresponding 3D sector. You could try and start with that and see if it works.

Otherwise, it's something that will have to be feature requested if it doesn't.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Hmm, I tried Wind, Scroll and Carry specials, and had no luck. I'm sure I've seen this done before though, so I might just be making a mistake.
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by gwHero »

Maybe this could help: currently I have these ACS code on a map I am working on:

Code: Select all

scroll_ceiling (2, 0, 12, 0);  		// water in the lake scrolling (y with velocity 12)
Scroll_Floor (1, 0, 12, CARRY);

Sectors with tag 1 represent a lake for which a 3d sector (with tag 2) defines the swimmable water.
scroll_ceiling lets the texture of the water scroll; and scroll_floor (note that the reference is not the 3d sector)
carries the player. Remark: the player still can move against the current; to prohibit that, more is needed (maybe setting the player props so that he can't move until he reaches the beginning of the area or perhaps otherwise)
Gez

Post by Gez »

I remember having had to use a Vavoom style 3D floor (control sector with floor above the ceiling) to get a scrolling effect transferring like I wanted it to. Perhaps try that, too?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Gez wrote:I remember having had to use a Vavoom style 3D floor (control sector with floor above the ceiling) to get a scrolling effect transferring like I wanted it to. Perhaps try that, too?
I'll give that a shot, but the Vavoom wiki seems to be fried so I'm gonna be groping around in the dark.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Sorry about that. Updated [wiki]Sector_Set3dFloor[/wiki] to have the relevant information.

Return to “Mapping”