large open areas

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
cortlong50

large open areas

Post by cortlong50 »

whats the best way to make large open areas without it being insanely taxing?

i know those two things are antonymous but im wondering if there is an efficient way to make a large open city.
piece by piece and do it in a hub? or what do you think?

i have this here, but im looking to optimize for people with slower PCs

https://imgur.com/a/cTQt6

(this is my first map pack so dont be a dick)

also, does radius_quake alert enemies? seems like every time i use it all the monsters perk up.
Nevander

Re: large open areas

Post by Nevander »

Those areas look pretty much as optimized as you're gonna get them from what I can see. I'm not completely sure what actually takes the most performance (lots of textures, things, or sectors?). The city maps from the Hell on Earth Starter Pack are an example of some city maps that can potentially run like total ass. They don't run great on my PC but they have tons of shit on them and who knows how much backend stuff is happening on the maps (and this is without Brutal Doom even being loaded).
Nash

Post by Nash »

cortlong50, those maps look amazing!
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

Nevander wrote:Those areas look pretty much as optimized as you're gonna get them from what I can see. I'm not completely sure what actually takes the most performance (lots of textures, things, or sectors?). The city maps from the Hell on Earth Starter Pack are an example of some city maps that can potentially run like total ass. They don't run great on my PC but they have tons of shit on them and who knows how much backend stuff is happening on the maps (and this is without Brutal Doom even being loaded).
thats kinda what im talking about. i personally think those maps are amazingly well done uses of open areas as far as gameplay but yes, there is definitely a performance hit as soon as you plug those in. they run slow...and mine isnt going to run much better haha. especially with the level of detail i like. so im wondering about doing city blocks that are empty and make it a hub where each building you enter is its own map. thats the only way i can think of.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

Nash wrote:cortlong50, those maps look amazing!
thanks man! definitely good to hear coming from the infamous nash. theyve been in progress for a long damn time haha, hoping for a release this year, but need tons of optimization.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Your last two posts are only a minute apart. You didn't need to make a double-post. Edit your post to add more to it, instead.

Return to “Mapping”