Placing a teleporter under a 3D floor.

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Placing a teleporter under a 3D floor.

Post by Graf Zahl »

ramon.dexter wrote: Hi Graf, sorry to ask, but can you explain to me, what is exactly 'hacky' in this approach? Action special could be connected to actor, that is 100% legit approach and I really dont see how it could break anyhting. Also, it could leave the height check on the engine, without any supporting coding (like checking for palyers height). I just dont see any 'hack' approach in this. Just a little irregular approach, but nothing more.

(I'm asking because explanaition like "Don't" is not explanatory enough for me.)
The obvious problem with this approach is that it requires a collision to occur. And unlike crossing a linedef that's NOT something without immediate side effects - and teleporters are the most susceptible thing in the entire engine when it comes to side effects - because the teleport action is being performed in the middle of movement and not queued to occur at the end of the frame. So the collision can have some subtle effects on the teleport that would make it feel 'wrong' - or even something worse.

We already had situations where trying to use teleports with sector actions and other non-standard triggers did not work as expected.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

ramon.dexter wrote:Bump method
How do I use the bump to activate an actor special, exactly? For some reason I thought there was a State specifically for when you bump into an actor, but looking thru the documentation it wasn't there. Must be remembering things wrong.

Thinking about using a script like this, otherwise:

Code: Select all

Script 1 (void)
{
   If(GetActorZ(0) < 128 ) //the 3D floor is 128 units high and doesn't move
   {
       Warp (15); //teleport destination tagged 15
       Spawn("GreenTeleFire");
   }
}
Gez

Post by Gez »

You use +[wiki=Actor_flags#BUMPSPECIAL]BUMPSPECIAL[/wiki] if you want to run a script on bumping.

For specific states, that's only for Switchable or SwitchingDecoration with the [wiki]Activation[/wiki] property set accordingly.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Wow, had no idea that was even in the game.

Return to “Mapping”