Why isn't brightness absolute?

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Nevander

Why isn't brightness absolute?

Post by Nevander »

Having a problem where I want to do a brightness gradient and it looks like there is some kind of cutoff at around light level 100. Everything below it looks exactly the same with any light mode. Why is this? Why is there no scale to the brightness?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Why isn't brightness absolute?

Post by Graf Zahl »

What version of GZDoom are you using?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

2.2.0 is the version I used when seeing this.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Serves you right if you still use that old version. The lighting has already been corrected in later versions.

This is caused by gl_light_ambient which was a leftover from old times that got removed last year before the 2.3 release.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Well that's just lovely. Any version higher than 2.2.0 gives me problems, anything lower is too old for me to use.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Nevander wrote:Any version higher than 2.2.0 gives me problems
That's awfully specific.
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gutawer »

Nevander wrote:Well that's just lovely. Any version higher than 2.2.0 gives me problems, anything lower is too old for me to use.
Wouldn't it be a better idea to try and resolve those problems by making posts here, rather than staying quiet and sticking to an old version? I mean, most people are going to play mods you make on the newest GZDoom version available, and so those problems will be prevalent for most players. Unless, of course, you tell people "go use this old version to play this", which I know personally is a way to instantly make me stop caring about a mod, and I reckon other people are the same way.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Gutawer wrote:
Nevander wrote:Well that's just lovely. Any version higher than 2.2.0 gives me problems, anything lower is too old for me to use.
Wouldn't it be a better idea to try and resolve those problems by making posts here, rather than staying quiet and sticking to an old version? I mean, most people are going to play mods you make on the newest GZDoom version available, and so those problems will be prevalent for most players. Unless, of course, you tell people "go use this old version to play this", which I know personally is a way to instantly make me stop caring about a mod, and I reckon other people are the same way.
I don't think I would say I've been quiet about it. There should be many people around here and DoomWorld that know I have problems with the latest versions (like here). I know most people always use the latest version (and I know they should, I am not saying they shouldn't), but I am not most people. The problems I have I'm 99% sure are exclusive to me and my configuration. It's been something I have been unable to pinpoint for a while and it's possible that it is the cause for issue in other games as well.

The mod I am developing is in a rare position in which the majority of things I do will most likely still be compatible with the newer versions apart from some things I am already aware of, like MENUDEF for example. So you don't have to use the version I do, but there might be things that are different with the latest version either due to a bug that was introduced that has nothing to do with my mod (like the translucency bug with the Blursphere a while back, it has nothing to do with my mod but nevertheless I got a post about it in my thread) or because something changed in a general sense that causes different behavior between the two versions, also out of my control and something that works fine previously.

Because of the issues I have, this basically inverts my ideology. Instead of using the latest versions, I have to stay behind or else the experience becomes very irritating. Do the latest versions of GZDoom work on my computer? Yes they work, but they do not work well. They don't work the same way that they did before. I'm the kind of person who can't tolerate stuttering or anything of that nature. Even a small hitch from 60 FPS to 58 I can see it and feel it in the gameplay. That is basically what the latest versions are doing. Immediate turn off.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

What's FPS you have in vanilla Doom without all fancy things like multisampling, SSAO, etc and with vsync turned off? I mean with all options by default (including resolution), without config file in other words.
Is it possible that you have some settings forcibly applied for all games in graphics drivers?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

I already use GZDoom with the basic options. I have renderbuffers turned off usually. With 2.4.0+ I can't play a map like SoD MAP31 without FPS stuttering at random times. It's not a constant thing, it's random as far as I can tell. If I turn something on like bloom it gets even worse and more frequent. 2.2.0 has the renderbuffers thing too but somehow that one doesn't give me problems unless I turn them on. With vsync off it's high-ish FPS (120-200) up to the max cap. All my settings should be default in the video driver settings, I never mess with those and do all my tweaks though the individual games.

So basically I'm screwed. :wink:
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Do you use texture upscaling? Even if you don't it's a good idea to enable texture precaching for comparison.
To rule out other culprits you can try to play a map that exhibits stuttering for sure with -nosound command line switch.
I doubt that the problem is related to sound/music but still this is worth checking.

And please use GZDoom 3.2.1 for testing as we won't update 3.1 and earlier versions anyway.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Nope. No texture upscaling or resize modes. I used to be an HQ4X user but eventually switched to None and also no texture filtering either. I will try playing SoD MAP31 with -nosound to see if anything is different.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

If it still stutters, please activate 'stat rendertimes' to see if that shows something that's not right.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Nevander: How often do you restart or turn off your PC?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Have you turned down Multisampling, as well?

That variable stubbornly turns itself on with some systems, for some strange reason.

Return to “Mapping”