Sector_SetLink and sector sound

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Enjay

Sector_SetLink and sector sound

Post by Enjay »

When you make a complex moving structure (e.g. a lift) with several sectors and then link them using [wiki]Sector_SetLink[/wiki] the movement sound comes from the control sector and all the sectors that are linked to it move silently.

This can cause a problem if the control sector has to be some distance from the actual play area: The lift appears to move silently or, at the very least, if you can still hear the sound, it's obvious that it is not coming from nearby. Is there any way to override this and force other sectors to make the noise? I've tried allocating sounds to the sectors in question using their UDMF properties, but these were still ignored/silenced.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Sector_SetLink and sector sound

Post by Graf Zahl »

At the moment you can't. This will require some changes to how CHAN_AREA sounds work, they should probably not just cover the control sector but also the attached ones. One of those things that got constantly pushed back.
Enjay

Re: Sector_SetLink and sector sound

Post by Enjay »

OK, well, good to know at least. In most cases I can usually get the control sector near enough that it sounds OK. Though, if you are really paying attention, you can still identify that the sound isn't coming from where you are standing but slightly off in one direction or another. (I guess having 5.1 sound probably enhances that.)

Return to “Mapping”