stacked sectors and automap

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

stacked sectors and automap

Postby kfpopeye2 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:54 am

I've created a level thats a 4 level building using interactive stacked sectors. Now the automap is a messy bowl of spaghetti. Is there a way to turn of the stacking in the automap or restrict what is shown to a certain Z range?
kfpopeye2

Re: stacked sectors and automap

Postby Cherno » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:31 am

You can prevent the sector lines to show on the automap.
Cherno

Postby kfpopeye2 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:00 pm

I want the lines to show just not overlaid. I'd like the floor plans to show next to each other, not on top of each other.
kfpopeye2

Postby Darkcrafter » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:29 am

And I want them to show on the top of each other. But I can hear you, I think it will be useful to suggest an option to show only current stacked sector on the map. Optionally.
Darkcrafter

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Gez » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:52 am

It's a user option in the automap menu, IIRC.
Gez

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:11 am

That option has been there from the moment this feature got implemented.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Darkcrafter » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:18 am

Gez wrote:It's a user option in the automap menu, IIRC.

Graf Zahl wrote:That option has been there from the moment this feature got implemented.

Do you guys know if it's possible to link the sectors in the same fashion on the automap like stacked sectors do? Like I have a sector that actors enters by hitting by stepping at a 3d floor silent teleporter, but having just an automap link is one problem, another is that both in this case and in case of a stacked sector player definitely changes "x and y" coordinates that dynamic sky box script tracks, so as soon as player enters into a "hacked" area skybox that can be seen outside of it changes its camera x and y position too.
Darkcrafter

Postby Gez » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:03 am

Darkcrafter wrote:Do you guys know if it's possible to link the sectors in the same fashion on the automap like stacked sectors do?

Without having them stacked sectors, you mean?

You can also create automap overlap with line portals if they are static or linked (not visual, teleporter, or interactive). Cf. portal and linked articles.

For your skybox camera script, the best advice I can take is to refactor the scripts to take the different areas into account. Basically, keep the various "levels" well separated on the map so that you can do simple coordinate checks. For example, you can make four quadrants just by using the origin point (map coordinates [0, 0]) as a reference. Player X and Y are negative? They're in quadrant A. X negative, Y positive? Quadrant B. X positive, Y negative? Quadrant C. X and Y positive? Quadrant D.

Then for each quadrant used, you set some X and Y constants that correspond to the offset. Let's say your skybox area is in quadrant D, so the offsets for quadrant D will be [0, 0], but the offsets for the three other quadrants will be whatever helps to overlap the area.

Once you have all this set up, then it's a relatively simple matter to have your skybox script use not just player position, but player position + player offset based on which quadrant they're in. It's basically how the engine itself does it.
Gez

Postby Darkcrafter » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:21 am

Yes, having separated by void sectors treated like if they were linked like stacked sectors. Thanks for the advice over the skybox script, although I'm wondering if this approach is possible - I prepared a little PDF here :roll:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Upu0X ... GzBAIdcbfm
Darkcrafter

Return to Mapping