Map bundling

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Map bundling

Postby thewaver » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:08 pm

Hello everyone.

I have just finished work on my first Doom 2 map using ZDoom Builder and I am starting work on the second one soon.
My issue is: how do I package them together? Right now, each individual map is it's own .WAD file.
Previously I was working on a balance mod and I simply created a .ZIP file containing my DECORATE.txt and MAPINFO.txt (I needed MAPINFO only to specify player class) and changed the extension to .PK3 and everything was golden - how do I bundle my maps with that mod now?

(PS: if it's possible, I'd rather just write down the "package contents" by hand on a text file rather than installing SLADE just for this)
thewaver

Re: Map bundling

Postby Kappes Buur » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:29 pm

Un7zip your pk3 file into its constituent folders.
Open Maps and add your second pwad as MAP02.wad. Make certain that it is actually MAP02 and not also MAP01. If it is still MAP01 then reopen the pwad in the editor and change the name to MAP02.

Re7zip as a pk3 file.
Done.
Kappes Buur

Postby Enjay » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:13 am

From memory, if the PK3 is set up.prpperly (i.e., maps in the maps folder) it's actually just the wad file name that is used - not the mapspace name inside the wad. I always set the name inside the wad too, but I don't think you need to.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby CBM » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:59 am

what about the map sequence? or will gzdoom automatically assume that map02 comes after map01 etc... ?

btw. great fan of your work enjay! GeneTech is among my favorite mods! :D
CBM

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby MFG38 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:29 pm

CBM wrote:what about the map sequence? or will gzdoom automatically assume that map02 comes after map01 etc... ?

Yes.
MFG38

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit

Postby Enjay » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:45 pm

Also don't forget that you can set up your map sequence however you like it using MAPINFO or via the parameters on your exit lines in your maps. Maps do not have to run in the normal 1, 2, 3, 4 etc order.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby thewaver » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:16 am

Sigh... I can't believe that I missed all these replies for a week because these antiquated forums don't do reply notification by default...

Will try your solution ASAP, Kappes - thank you so much!

Also, thanls, Enjay - I have seen from the available action list that I can specify which map to transition to, or if I want it to be the end of the game. (but I'm using the normal sequence for now)

PS: I already had my maps named correctly - glad I got that one right, at least :D
thewaver

Postby Rachael » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:03 am

thewaver wrote:Sigh... I can't believe that I missed all these replies for a week because these antiquated forums don't do reply notification by default...

Antiquated? We like it that way. :twisted:

Just because it's "modern" doesn't always mean it's "right", especially with web development.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Return to Mapping