Realistic texture-based Water/Waterfalls?

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Realistic texture-based Water/Waterfalls?

Postby Tormentor667 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:23 am

I am currently trying to improve various aspects of basic things in Blade of Agony, including the water effects in general. What is currently annoying me the most is the way the water looks and behaves. WARP and WARP2 are overused and most of the available stock textures simply do not convince me. So the question now is: Did someone come up with a good shader and texture combination for water and waterfalls? Maybe even with the usage of materials to make the water convincing enough?
Last edited by Tormentor667 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Re: Realistic Water/Waterfalls?

Postby Cherno » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:31 am

Maybe don't use textures at all but rather have an actor at the top that spawns a continuous flow of water splash sprite actors. Probably not feasable for large waterfalls, though.
Cherno

Re: Realistic texture-based Water/Waterfalls?

Postby Tormentor667 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:50 am

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. For waterfalls we have aready "sfx spawners", but what I would like to have is a more realistic and natural looking waterfall effect textrue and water effect texture. Currently it looks like this in BoA:

Simple texture, WARP2 effect, that's it. I am not pleased. What I would like to have is something more like this one:

https://youtu.be/eNVOtvqiSOo?t=225

It is clear to me that these kind of water effects aren't realizable in GZDoom, but how close can you get?
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Kappes Buur » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:41 am

The waterfalls in Rex's Paranoid are pretty good

Spoiler:
Kappes Buur

Postby Darkcrafter » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:30 pm

I would create a custom animated texture based on googled waterfall GIFs
Attachments
WaterfallExample1.jpg
Darkcrafter

Return to Mapping