Script Warning: Texture References Itself as Patch

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Script Warning: Texture References Itself as Patch

Postby ReX » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:37 pm

Would someone please tell me what this warning means, and how to fix it?

Code: Select allExpand view
Script Warning, "Temple_00.pk3: Textures" Line 127:
Texture 'Window01' references itself as patch

I started getting the warning and related in-game graphical errors after I reorganized my game resources. I started with 2 files, one a wad with maps and graphic resources and the other a pk3 with various folders. This combination correctly displays all graphics.

ToTA_Wad12.jpg
Original Wad

ToTA_Pk301.jpg
Original pk3

ToTA_Texture1.jpg
In-Game Textures are Fine

Once I reorganized the files the warning began, and the graphics get messed up in-game. [I will put those pictures in another post, as the forum software limits each post to 3 attachments.]
ReX
Title? I don't need no steenkin' title!

Re: Script Warning: Texture References Itself as Patch

Postby ReX » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:43 pm

Here are the reorganized resources, and the messed up in-game textures:

ToTA_Wad13.jpg
Modified Wad

ToTA_Pk300.jpg
Modified pk3

ToTA_Texture2.jpg
Messed Up Textures

Note, that the result is the same if the 3 textures in the "root" directory of the pk3 are moved into the TEXTURES folder, or if they are put into another folder named PATCHES

I am using GZDooM v3.1.0

[EDIT: I switched to GZDooM v3.2.5, and now those textures have disappeared entirely.]

[Second EDIT: I moved those 3 textures into the TEXTURES folder, and I no longer get the warning message, but now the messed-up textures have returned.]

I don't know if this matters, but the problem appears to be happening just with scaled textures.
ReX

Postby PermaNoob » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:59 pm

I think I see what's happening here-- I'm assuming that you're scaling the textures down via the TEXTURES lump and not directly using the JPEGs as textures?

TEXTURES allows you to use other composite textures as a patch. Since the name of the JPEG file is the same as the entry in TEXTURES, it's getting confused about which is supposed to be referenced: basically an infinite recursion (Texture "Window01" has a patch "Window01", it looks for that name only to find itself). I'm not sure why this worked in a WAD but I'm guessing it shouldn't :P .

Try changing the names of the JPEGs (you should put them in the patches folder, as well) and updating the TEXTURES entries with the new names.
PermaNoob
Lurking.

Postby ReX » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:25 pm

PermaNoob wrote:I think I see what's happening here-- I'm assuming that you're scaling the textures down via the TEXTURES lump and not directly using the JPEGs as textures?

That is correct.

TEXTURES allows you to use other composite textures as a patch. Since the name of the JPEG file is the same as the entry in TEXTURES, it's getting confused about which is supposed to be referenced: basically an infinite recursion (Texture "Window01" has a patch "Window01", it looks for that name only to find itself). I'm not sure why this worked in a WAD but I'm guessing it shouldn't :P .

That would ordinarily make sense. However, in other TEXTURE lumps I've used successfully, I've scaled down textures using the same names for the patch as well as the final texture.

Try changing the names of the JPEGs (you should put them in the patches folder, as well) and updating the TEXTURES entries with the new names.

I'll give it a shot. But it just seems very flaky that I need to do things differently that what I used to do before.

Regardless, thanks for your suggestions.
ReX

Return to Mapping