Abusing Skybox Viewpoint

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
juizzysquirt

Abusing Skybox Viewpoint

Post by juizzysquirt »

I'm trying to make spaceship that player can fly, using a Skybox Viewpoint in the actual space and viewing it from static cockpit made out of level geometry. I'm already able to move viewpoint in xyz-dimensions, and modify the yaw-angle, but adjusting pitch (or roll) doesn't do anything. Debugging shows me that these pitch/roll values on actual viewpoint actor does change, but it doesn't affect the view. Is this a bug, or some technical limitation?

I'm using GZDoom 3.2.5 64-bit.
Tormentor667

Re: Abusing Skybox Viewpoint

Post by Tormentor667 »

I have suggested something in the past but currently roll and pitch have no effect on the skybox viewer
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Is this feature suggested already? (I vaguely remember it was, but not positive)

If not, it definitely should be.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Already suggested here.
juizzysquirt

Post by juizzysquirt »

I don't blame Graf for not getting involved in 6DoF-math in Doom engine. It's a bit tricky to deal already when some axis seem to have an arbitrary range and points of origin (at least when dealing with ACS, don't know how it's internally).

In meantime I've settled for a cameratexture in front of the ship, it works fairly well for testing purposes but without post-processing effects and ability to park my ship upside-down in space it's not very presentable. :shrug:
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Internally what happens is there is a single command that resets all points to the viewer's position as if they were at (0,0) - this includes angle/pitch/roll. The skybox code was a mess the last time I looked at it, though, which might be why no one bothered to put in an extra roll command for it. Conceptually it would not be that difficult though - two translations (one for the view, one for the skybox actor itself) and you're done. In practice may be the bigger issue though since the skybox code is anything but simple. (Otherwise - to be honest - we'd already have fractional skybox positioning based on camera movement in the engine. :twisted: )

Return to “Mapping”