Heretic Quirks

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)

Heretic Quirks

Postby FireCube » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:42 am

Hello I have two questions about customizing Heretic. I mostly use DECORATE but won't mind zscript

1. When a level ends, every Heretic artifact count in the player's inventory is reset back to 1 instance. I would like to know if its possible to keep multiples of items after a map change, exactly like in Hexen.

2. In Heretic/Hexen, the HUD health number increments and decrements in a smooth transition, in a sort of attempt to make it feel more RPG-like. I wish to get rid of this and have the health count update instantly like in Doom. Where could I modify this?

Thank you!
FireCube

Re: Heretic Quirks

Postby Jarewill » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:50 pm

1) You can bypass that in two ways:
- You can either add Inventory.InterHubAmount on every inventory item and set it to the same as MaxAmount, or
- Replace every map's definitions in MAPINFO to add the KeepFullInventory flag to them, but I don't think it's a good idea.
I don't know of any other way that doesn't require completely replacing either all items or all map definitions.

2) You would have to replace the the status bar using either SBARINFO or ZScript.
Heretic's SBARINFO can be found here and you will have to change the interpolatehealth true; at the beginning of the definition to false.
The ZScript status bar is located within gzdoom.pk3/zscript/ui/statusbar/heretic_sbar.zs and you will have to change inthealth in the DrawGem function on line 83 into CPlayer.health to avoid the interpolation.
Jarewill

Postby FireCube » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:57 pm

Jarewill wrote:1) You can bypass that in two ways:
- You can either add Inventory.InterHubAmount on every inventory item and set it to the same as MaxAmount, or
- Replace every map's definitions in MAPINFO to add the KeepFullInventory flag to them, but I don't think it's a good idea.
I don't know of any other way that doesn't require completely replacing either all items or all map definitions.

2) You would have to replace the the status bar using either SBARINFO or ZScript.
Heretic's SBARINFO can be found here and you will have to change the interpolatehealth true; at the beginning of the definition to false.
The ZScript status bar is located within gzdoom.pk3/zscript/ui/statusbar/heretic_sbar.zs and you will have to change inthealth in the DrawGem function on line 83 into CPlayer.health to avoid the interpolation.

Thank you for your help.

I'll get 1. done eventually

I tried 2. and it works with full bar view, however this appears to break Mini mode http://www.sourceop.com/hell-met/here.png
FireCube

Postby Jarewill » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:38 am

Oh right, with SBARINFO you should specify a base at the beginning when editing base game status bars.
Just add the following line at the very beginning of SBARINFO:
Code: Select allExpand view
Base Heretic
Jarewill

Postby FireCube » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:40 pm

Jarewill wrote:Oh right, with SBARINFO you should specify a base at the beginning when editing base game status bars.
Just add the following line at the very beginning of SBARINFO:
Code: Select allExpand view
Base Heretic;

Sorry to report back, but putting Base Heretic apparently overrides everything else and turns interpolate back on
FireCube

Return to Scripting